Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagicJack on the iMac?

Anyone know how this could be hooked up to the iMac ?

Thx

Ted

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iMac Alu C2D 2.4 GHz 20" 4GB

Posted on Feb 9, 2008 6:46 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2008 8:44 PM in response to doctorted11323

Hi Ted:

After browsing their site a little more, there seems to be a bit of a catch to being Mac compatable. It says you need to download the Mac file using a Windoze computer and then install it the Mac via the USB adapter they provide. I don't believe you would need the USB Apple modem. I suspect it operates in a similar fashion to Skype or similar voice over internet based phone service.

Stedman

Feb 12, 2008 1:01 PM in response to doctorted11323

I first tried to connect and register my magicJack on my Intel 24" white iMac running 10.5.1 and kept being unable to finish registering it.

I then tried the Chat customer support they have, and after 10 minutes wait, a tech came on, listen to my issue, and finally after checking with someone else, insisted that it would not work until after I upgraded it on a PC running wndows first, then it would work on my mac, he said.

What he did not know, is that the friend who had introduced me to magicJack had connected hers, blissfully unaware, to her white 24" intel iMac directly, registered it successfully and stated using it within 10 minutes, all without a PC. So I called my friend and investigated...

Despite what their website, and their customer support say, MagicJack does work DIRECTLY on a mac, without having to 1st update it on a PC, AS LONG AS you connect it first and register it on an Intel Mac running 10.4.xx, but NOT 10.5.xx. I just did this myself earlier today, and it works perfectly. The mac I used to register and get my phone number was running 10.4.11 to be exact. Then I went home and connected it to my own 24" iMac running 10.5.2, and everything is working perfectly! 🙂 I don't know if it'd work on any other version of 10.4 though...

Once it is registered successfully on the intel Mac 10.4.xx, then it can be connected to any other intel mac and be used. This has been my experience today, as well as my friend's who told me about magicJack. Hope this is helpful.

Happy calling. 🙂

Feb 12, 2008 5:13 PM in response to Jean-Marc Zuczek

Stedman +Jean:

Funny...I almost ordered MJ today, but hesitated. On their site it says MJ for Mac is beta and has no tech support. I was a bit put off by that and the Winblows download. Still the $40.00 is no big deal and they give you a 30 day trial. Im running 10.5.1. I don't know anyone with 10.4.xx. What should I do ?
I don't care about the price, but don't want the aggravation.

Thx guys

Ted

MagicJack on the iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.