Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2008 11:59 AM by EYEBALL119
LheartsJ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
my mom put my ipod in the washer then it went in the dryer for a few minutes until she realised it was in there, i tried turning it on before she told me that she had washed it. help?

ipod nano 2nd generation, Windows XP
  • Wan Chai Man Level 2 Level 2 (395 points)
    Oh dear... sorry to hear about that

    I read on another thread that although the screen is waterproof, then rest of the device is not.

    Do you have home contents insurance?? Maybe you could claim against that?
  • LheartsJ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    umm i dont think i have home contents insurance, is there any way to fix it or is it totally broken?
  • Link2999 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    If it won't turn on after awhile, then it's broken. I'd check up on it the next day.
  • LheartsJ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    oh ill try it tommorow, thanks for the help.
  • towheadedboy Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Chances are it's not going to work anymore, and you won't be able to return it for a refund. There are people out there who know how to open these up (to replace the batteries), so if this happened to me, instead of just tossing it in the trash, I would at least find out how to open it up properly, then use a hair dryer on it, on low setting, for about 15 minutes (to remove all the moisture), put it back together and see if it works. Even then, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sorry.
  • LheartsJ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    oh ok, thanks ill try and do that.
  • Johnathan Burger Level 6 Level 6 (15,545 points)
    I'm afraid that since you tried turning it on, you killed it.
    No harm in leaving it sit, turned off, for a week or so and then trying to turn it on.
  • jr20079 Level 4 Level 4 (1,960 points)
    Ok try these steps

    1. Fill a container with rubbing achool and immerse your iPod remove from bucket after 30 seconds. let it sit for 2 weeks before turning it on

    1. Fill a bucket with rice and make sure the iPod is under the rice

    Next time check your pockets
  • mrtotes Level 6 Level 6 (11,815 points)
    I would not recommend applying any direct heat but rather leaving it in a warm place for a week or so in the hope that it will dry out.


    Good luck.



  • Robert Bjoraker Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)
    Had this happen to a PDA phone...
    First thing to go is the Li-ion battery which usually shorts out immediately. Next, the complicated electronics also develops multiple faults. Got a new battery and my phone would turn on sometimes after a long, long drying out, but was completely glitched when it did.

    If your battery is alright, maybe you will be ok. Good luck.
  • jr20079 Level 4 Level 4 (1,960 points)

    How can you get the battery out? (Can you please look at my post about 32GB iPods)
  • Robert Bjoraker Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)
    I don't know how to get the iTouch battery out. My Windows Mobile PDA phone had a latch/door to remove/replace the battery.
  • Conal Ho Level 2 Level 2 (495 points)
    Looks like mummy is going to have to buy you an iPod!
  • melvel Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    About 3-4 years ago I accidentally dropped my iPod in my water bottle when I was going to practice. It was only in there for a couple minutes before I realized what had happened. When I got to practice everyone told me not to try and turn it on. One guy even opened it up and told me to leave it out in the sun while we were practicing (it was a VERY nice day over spring break). He also told me not to take any heat to it because it can damage the circuits. At the end of the day I attempted to turn it on. At first the screen was pretty washed out but after leaving it on for awhile, it was actually functional and legible again. Sometimes the screen washed out when I first turned it on but it was definitely still usable. Hope this helps!
Previous 1 2 Next