Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help connecting to a open WiFi at McDonalds

i was at McDonalds this morning and noticed they had free Wifi. I pulled out my new ITouch and connected to their wifi. Showed good signal strength, but when I tried to go to a webpage it came up saying it could not connect to server.

is there something I am missing to connect to a open wifi spot like this one?

Little Blackbook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 10, 2008 12:54 PM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2008 12:59 PM in response to blues334

Just a little, Mcdonalds may advertise a free wifi, but you have to read between the lines. Mickey Ds uses a wifi provider called Wayport Access. With W.A. , getting on the internet is free, but browsing is different. You have to pay a one time amount of money via credit card. Once you pay, you will recieve a coupon ID. On the W.A. home page for Mickey Ds, it asks for your coupon #. It also says buy a connection, which is buying the coupon #.
So to answer the question, its not you, its them. It is a way to get more customers for them. If someone sees Wifi advertised. They will stop to check their email. See? 🙂

Feb 10, 2008 1:07 PM in response to blues334

If you have an account with AT&T (or BellSouth) Broadband at home, you can have free access to McDonald's WiFi....

First you need to open Safari, and it will take you to McDonald's WiFi page. You make the connection either by using your AT&T / BellSouth password, or if you don't have AT&T account, sign up to pay for the connection.

Also, you might want to ask the store person to see if they have free one time use coupon which has a pass code. I am finding out many don't even know what WiFi means, or they don't even know if they have such service. Most McDonald's do have WiFi.

Help connecting to a open WiFi at McDonalds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.