Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to clean LCD screen w/o destroying it?

After several thousand sneezes, coughs and splashed coffee, my PowerBook's screen is looking rather gross -- lots of spots and smudges.

What's the safest way to clean the screen w/o risking scratches, abrasions, melting and shorting out the display? Thanks.

12" PowerBook G4, PowerMac G4 Dual MDD, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 12, 2008 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2008 1:32 PM

My method:

I use a large soft cloth, iClear screen cleaning fluid and a small medium-weave Microfibre towel.

Place the soft cloth (it should be larger than your PB) flat on a table.
Open the PB so the screen is at a right-angle to the keyboard area.
Lay the PB on its back (Apple logo on reverse of screen flat onto cloth).
Spray some iClear onto the Microfibre towel (insted of spraying directly onto screen). Don't soak it through, you don't need much.
Using horizontal strokes and light pressure, wipe screen from side to side with the Microfibre.
Repeat until marks are gone, and finally buff with a dry side of the Microfibre.

Done this for years, never scratched a screen, treat my Apple LCD the same way and am rather
particular about Car Detailing!

HTH.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2008 1:32 PM in response to Photon2

My method:

I use a large soft cloth, iClear screen cleaning fluid and a small medium-weave Microfibre towel.

Place the soft cloth (it should be larger than your PB) flat on a table.
Open the PB so the screen is at a right-angle to the keyboard area.
Lay the PB on its back (Apple logo on reverse of screen flat onto cloth).
Spray some iClear onto the Microfibre towel (insted of spraying directly onto screen). Don't soak it through, you don't need much.
Using horizontal strokes and light pressure, wipe screen from side to side with the Microfibre.
Repeat until marks are gone, and finally buff with a dry side of the Microfibre.

Done this for years, never scratched a screen, treat my Apple LCD the same way and am rather
particular about Car Detailing!

HTH.

Feb 12, 2008 5:34 PM in response to Photon2

I have for years wiped off my computer screens with damp bath towels. Towels are great because they are more wet in parts, and some areas they are almost dry. Wiping down computer screens gently removes dirt, etc with the damper parts, and wipes it dry with the drier parts. You can of course get a screen cleaner if you want to go the chemical route. The price is right on the towel remedy.

Best way to clean LCD screen w/o destroying it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.