Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aTV, 5.1 and a Sony Receiver......no blue light!?!

First and foremost, what a fun couple of days. What a great forum too! So many knowledgeable folks willing to share their know-how.

So, my question is this, anyone else out there with their aTV hooked-up to a Sony receiver that's not getting the blue-light on the main display to indicate true 5.1?

Maybe I'm worrying needlessly here as perhaps the audio signal will only be a true 5.1 when HD content is rented. Last night I watched a few of the HD Trailers and was kinda expecting to get the blue-light during those trailers. But nope, it did seem to be pretty decent sound quality, but it almost seemed like it was a "fake" 5.1. Dunno though. Also, I did have a couple issues of "buffering" while I was watching the trailers. The trailer would load completely with the blue bar filling completely and then during the play of the trailer it would suddenly stop and the bar would have to fill again. But it did fill much more quickly (say five seconds or so).

Also, under Audio Settings, I DO have the Dolby Digital Out set to ON. (I'm using component and optical(Toslink) cables for the hook-up. My preference is always HDMI but that's not possible here as I only have two HDMI inputs on my Panny plasma and I'm using them for my HD Cable box and Sony PS3.

The new UI for aTV is not baaaad, but could've been so much better. I actually think that the UI from the prior version was much more visually pleasing with those large, sharp, flying eye-catching graphics. I don't know if Sony would throw a hissy-fit or not, but the aTV should adopt a UI menu like that of the PS3 where the icons are stretched horizontally on the display with the user then being able to scroll up or down within that icon to access that sub-menu. IMHO, that would be much cleaner and more visually pleasing.

And on a sidenote and for clarification, one does not need AirTunes to be able to control their aTV from iTunes on their PC. I was under the impression that I wouldn't have the option to do this as I don't have AirTunes or Airport Extreme. I was VERY happy to see the COMPUTER button on the bottom right part of my iTunes giving me that control. I now won't have to change the input on my HD display to access the UI(thusly disrupting whoever's watching a program pm the TV) to change tunes. (I might've misunderstood some of the recent posts on this though. Maybe what was actually being inferred was that an aTV only need to be AirTunes "capable" to do this.)

Geez Phil, ramble much? lol

Carry on.

Commodore 64, Windows Vista, ASelectors, 50" Plasma

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 11:36 AM

I have a Sony receiver as well and the "Blue Light" does come on and you get 3/2-1 (5.1) when you view a HD movie that has 5.1. (Some do not) The previews do not appear to include 5.1. I suspect you are previewing the non-HD version.
22 replies

Feb 13, 2008 12:30 PM in response to ProfGHDorr

Thanks for your input Rich. Just to clarify, I was indeed watching an HD Trailer, but still not getting the 5.1 blue light. But it sounds like you also do NOT get the blue light when watching HD Trailers. Your post confused me just a bit(not all that hard to do actually.....lol), as you'd commented that you were suspecting that I was watching the non-HD version, almost implying that I wasn't getting that blue light as I wasn't watching the HD version of a trailer.

If I'm understanding you correctly now, none of the trailers (even HD ones) won't be in true 5.1 (blue light), but SOME of the HD movies will support true 5.1 sound which will trigger that infamous blue light.

Feb 19, 2008 12:05 PM in response to ProfGHDorr

Hey Rich,

So last night we finally watched Superbad (HD). Not sure what was more disappointing, the flick itself or the fact that the blue-light never lit up on my Sony receiver. I checked my aTV sound settings and as well tinkered with my Sony receiver and no 5.1.

I did get sound, but it wasn't a true 5.1.

So my question for you is, what are you doing to get blue-light 5.1? AFD Auto?

What are your Sony receiver's settings to get this?

Thanks.
-Phil

Feb 19, 2008 1:36 PM in response to MsgtGrif

MsgtGrif wrote:
Have you verified that DD is enabled on the ATV? It is under Settings/Audio.

I did indeed.

I went into:
Settings > Audio > HDMI > On
(At least that's what I recall being the menu options selected. I'm at work now and don't recall the specific menu options but I'll check it again when I get home.)

Regarding the options under AUDIO.....isn't it just HDMI(ON or OFF)? Or is it Dolby Digital? I forget.

Feb 19, 2008 2:32 PM in response to Maggot

Maggot wrote:
Hi Drum_Phil,

I'm not near my ATV right now, but I checked out Superbad on the iTunes page, and it doesn't mention anything about 5.1. (Many of the HD movies have 5.1; some don't.)

Does it say that it's in 5.1 on the ATV rental page? If not, even though it is in HD, it may just be in stereo.

Hi Maggot.
Thanks for checking that for me. According to iTunes +through my aTV+, Superbad is not only in HD, but also in DD (with the official DD logo).

Another forum poster (RichSolNuv) has confirmed that this movie did indeed support true 5.1 when he watched it with his Sony receiver. So it's probably just a matter of dialing in the settings on it and/or my aTV.

Thanks for the props on my handle. I love lexical ambiguity.

As they say, time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas.

aTV, 5.1 and a Sony Receiver......no blue light!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.