Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 2.0 Tether & Canon

From Apple's PDF titled "Aperture 2 Product Overview" which you can view [here|http://images.apple.com/aperture/docs/Aperture 2_ProductOverview.pdf]:

"The new Tether command in Aperture lets users of popular Nikon and Canon digital
SLRs tether their cameras to their Mac and capture images directly into Aperture,
without relying on third-party software or scripting."

Visiting Canon's [site|http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcate goryid=111] you'll note they currently offer 8 models of digital SLRs. Among their most popular are the 1D & 1Ds Mark III, 30D, and 40D. I see a huge number of 1D models at shoots and the 30D is everywhere. So far, in my own testing and in reviewing the posts on the forums, at least 4 of the 8 SLRs Canon sells don't work with tethering in Aperture 2. In fact, the only Canon SLR confirmed to work is the 20D. Given this, I wonder...

1. How can Apple say with a straight face that it supports the popular Canon SLRs.
2. Is everyone doing something wrong?
3. Why the heck hasn't Apple posted a supported camera list for a very sought after feature?

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 4/500, MacBook Pro 2.4 4/250, Mac OS X (10.5), iPhone 8 GB, iPod Nano 8 GB, AppleTV 160 GB

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 4:11 PM

104 replies

Feb 13, 2008 5:07 PM in response to KBeat

I too am having issues with tethering a Canon 30D ... I must has spent half a day trying every which combination. If this works, and I'm just missing something, I'll be a happy camper. However, given the combinations I've tried, I think we'll have to wait for an upgrade for our models.

If anyone gets it to work ... I'll pay in pizza for the solution ... Thanks in advance! Matt.

Feb 14, 2008 7:03 AM in response to KBeat

To those with Canon cameras please post your experience with Aperture 2.0 and Tether here. So far I can confirm the following:

EOS 20D = YES

EOS-1D = NO
EOS-1Ds = NO
EOS 30D = NO
EOS 40D = NO

That pretty much leaves the 5D and Rebel models. I think I can put my hands on a Rebel, but if you've got one, please try it out with Tether. So far I'm terribly disappointed. This was one of my most requested features for Aperture 2.0 and and it's virtually useless with the Pro Canon SLRs.

Feb 14, 2008 7:12 AM in response to KBeat

The problem appears to be Canon, not Apple, at least with the Mark III cameras.

I had posted this in another thread: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6591135

The Canon 1Ds Mark III *does not work tethered* with Aperture. My own testing showed it and Apple confirmed it for me.

I think the issue is similar with the Canon 1D Mark III.

The issue lies with Canon... I've heard different reasoning for this (Canon putting some proprietary blocks in the way or Canon's SDK having some bugs that still need to be corrected). Hopefully, it's the SDK issue or a firmware issue that can be updated or corrected.

Canon 1DM3 and 1DsM3 users may have to contact Canon to put pressure on them to correct/change this, get them to open up the cameras to third-party tethering.

Apple will be putting out more information on this.

Source: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9258-9278

+Aperture 2 supports tethering directly, the camera maker's software and AppleScript are no longer required. Apple is preparing but has not yet published a knowledgebase article that will list the supported cameras, which is expected to include various Canon, Nikon and perhaps other digital SLR models, plus the iPhone.+

Feb 14, 2008 7:50 AM in response to Kenneth Han

So now that's:

EOS 20D = Yes

Digital Rebel XTi = NO
EOS-1D Mark III = NO
EOS-1Ds Mark III= NO
EOS 30D = NO
EOS 40D = NO

Jon, you may very well be right in that it's a Canon issue in terms of how they engineer their cameras. However it's very much an Apple issue in that they are marketing the new Aperture 2.0 tether feature as working with the popular Canon SLRs. Canon isn't making that claim. So far, as best I can tell, it works with exactly one Canon SLR. That's pretty disingenuous on Apple's behalf don't you think?

Feb 14, 2008 9:35 AM in response to Hackaroxp

I use a Canon 40D and I'm also disappointed that it doesn't work in tethered mode. I sent an email to Canon requesting that they work on a software/firmware update that will open up the cameras for use with 3rd-party software tethering, specifically Apple Aperture. I would encourage everyone who is interested to send a request to Canon as well. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ContactCanonAct

Incidentally, I pulled out my Canon Digital Rebel XT (not XTi) and I can confirm that it DOES work in tethered mode with Aperture. Plug it in, start a tethered session, and shoot. No issues, no special configuring required on the camera.

Feb 14, 2008 10:13 AM in response to KBeat

This is the response I received from Canon - suggesting that Apple needs to work this out, not Canon:

Thank you for writing to us with your feedback on the EOS 40D. We
appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us regarding
your Canon product.

Typically software updates to allow Canon cameras to operate with
third-party software will need to be made by the software designer. For
example, Adobe makes the software updates that allow Photoshop to be
able to view Canon RAW files. This is because we do not have access to
the programing within these software programs, while the transfer
protocols for the camera and the image files are available to the
software designers.

It is very likely that Apple has not yet released such an update for
the EOS 40D, they will shortly as Aperture is a popular program.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance with your EOS 40D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Aperture 2.0 Tether & Canon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.