Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro and Jumbo frames

I am a little confused about the mtu setting on the ethernet interface on my Mac Pro (four core Xeon 2007 model). Under 10.4, I was able to select a mtu setting of jumbo (9000) in the network settings panel and it worked fine (I have a local gigabit router that handles jumbo frames). My MacBook Pro under leopard 10.5.2 is able to run with jumbo frames without problem on the same router, but the Mac Pro while it will let me select the jumbo frame item in the Network control panel, will not "stick" -- it resets automatically to standard (1500) or custom (1504). Using the /usr/sbin/networksetup -listvalidMTUrange en0 command my mac claims it can only be set from 72-1504. This is different than before when I was (or at least I think I was) using Jumbo frames. Any ideas as to what could be scrozzed (if anything)? I can't believe my MacBook Pro can use jumbo frames but the more expensive mac pro cannot. This is very frustrating. Any suggestions?

2.3 GHz MacBook Pro and Quad MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 7:07 PM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2008 3:02 PM in response to Steven Whatley

I managed to get jumbo frames settings to stick. I needed to disable the network interface and re-enable it. I got it set to 7418 bytes to match my Buffalo Terastation's max jumbo frame size. It seems to be helping throughput with the Terastation. I'm be kind of disappointed with the normal transfer speed of the Terastation. Turning on jumbo frames seems to help. Speeds has gone up from 4mbps to 13mbps.

Thanks,
Steven

Mac Pro and Jumbo frames

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.