4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2008 6:18 PM by HinckleyScott
HinckleyScott Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
(NOTE: Generic host and domain names used in this mail, real ones are used for the actual machine)

Clean 10.5.1 install, immediately hit software update multiple times till 10.5.2 and any other offered updates were installed.

Went into WGM and created the accounts for my virtual domain users (I will not be doing any mail accounts on the main server which is called localhost.local) using the same setup as the 10.5.1 tutorial referenced many times on this site. I made no by-hand file changes other than making the bounces soft instead of hard, as I think that virtual domains are supposed to work now with 10.5.2.

Went into Server Admin, added Mail as a service and configured it with my virtual domain in the Advanced/Hosting tab and turned on debug output for SMTP and POP.

Pointed my firewall at the new mail server so that DNS would be correct

Tried sending a mail from my test user to my test user from a mail client on my LAN.

YAY! It works!

Ok, so with the WGM version of virtual domains, where do I put the dreaded catch-all user for the one domain that required it?
Do I just make a virtual user account with the second shortname being @mydomain1.com?

And, for forward-only mail addresses do I make a virtual user account with the "mail" tab set to forward?

Or, do I still use the tutorial method for those features where I edit files directly?

Thanks, and (fingers crossed) last question for a while.

------ main.cf ------
queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = _postfix
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code = 450
unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code = 450
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
setgid_group = _postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
mydomain_fallback = localhost
message_size_limit = 10485760
myhostname = localhost.local
mailbox_transport = cyrus
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydomain = local
enable_server_options = yes
inet_interfaces = all
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org permit
maps_rbl_domains =
content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_use_pw_server = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,permit
smtpd_pw_server_security_options = cram-md5
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
virtual_mailbox_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains

---------- virtual --------
This file is empty other than comments

----------- virtual_domains ----------
mydomain1.com allow
mydoamin2.net allow

multiple, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • pterobyte Level 6 Level 6 (10,910 points)
    Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear virtual domains set up from scratch work in 10.5.2.

Ok, so with the WGM version of virtual domains, where do I put the dreaded catch-all user for the
    one domain that required it?
    Do I just make a virtual user account with the second shortname being @mydomain1.com?

To be honest, I never tried, but I seriously doubt this will work (worth trying though). I'd put it in /etc/postfix/virtual (can coexist fine with WGM, but you'll need to add the reference to it to main.cf

And, for forward-only mail addresses do I make a virtual user account with the "mail" tab set to forward?

As above, worth trying. Doubt it'll work through WGM.

-

Generally speaking and from my experience and assuming there are no bugs, Server Admin and WGM allow for basic setups. Anything slightly advanced is better done through the command line. Sad but true.
  • Trevor Jacques Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    HinckleyScott wrote:
    Tried sending a mail from my test user to my test user from a mail client on my LAN.
    YAY! It works!

Did you try more than one e-mail address for the given account? My set up works, but OD/WGM seems to choose which, single e-mail address it will permit to receive e-mail in any given virtual domain. I can send to that address from another e-mail server, but no other e-mail addresses at the virtual domain for that user (as set up in WGM). I just get a "550 We will not relay" message from Server Mail. :-/
  • HinckleyScott Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    So, results are in

Setting the mail tab to forward does indeed work, BUT good luck changing it to something else and having the mail server pick up on the change. Seems to require stopping the mail server, changing the account to no mail, saving the account, change the account to forward with the new address, save the account, reboot.

I have not found any method to do a "catch-all" address within WGM that works.

I can however verify that multiple addresses (in the same or different domains) for a single WGM account are working for me.

To do my catch-all though I may have to abandon my short name method and go to editing the "virtual" file instead. I'm going to try filing a support call with Apple first though as that is the ONLY thing that isn't working for me right now form the GUI.

I know that pterobyte's tutorial will solve all my issues and have done a lot of testing with file editing, but I really want to help make the GUI work.
  • HinckleyScott Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Well, I verified with Apple support that there is no way to do a catch-all for virtual hosting from the GUI other than the uber-catch-all of "Copy undeliverable mail to" that works across all domains and still generates a bounce message.
    So, I went ahead and put in a /etc/postfix/virtual file with all my users and the catch-all on the one domain that needs it.
    Oh Well.