Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 9 - doesn't recognize flash drive

I am trying to transfer some photos from my old imac (running OS 9.2) to my newer powerbook G4 running OSX.

I don't have the capacity to write to a CD (read only) and I currently have no external drives or other methods to transfer this material.

I bought a flash card at the apple store that supposedly works with OS 9 but it does not show up on my desktop when I plug it in and I am unable to transfer files to it.

Any suggestions? I am desperate!

Thanks,

julia

imac, Mac OS 9.2.x, Old computer- trying to retrieve data

Posted on Feb 13, 2008 8:54 PM

14 replies

Feb 13, 2008 10:51 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm not sure Drive Setup (OS9 equivalent) of DU can handle this. As I recall, flash drives do not show up as drives in the proper sense in OS9. A flash drive behaves more like a floppy disk. Usually when I wanted to format a flash drive in OS9 I would click on the drive and erase it. The computer would ask me what format and then reformat it. This doesn't really address why yours isn't showing up at all on your OS9 machine but I think you might be better off doing this in OSX.

Feb 14, 2008 3:12 PM in response to Julia S.

Hi, Julia. USB 1.1 and 2.0 flash drives are supported by all Mac OS versions from 8.1 on, though USB 2.0 drives will only operate at 1.1 speed in any OS earlier than 10.2.6. So I suspect that, as others have suggested, you are missing or have deactivated the necessary USB extensions on your iMac.

You should have the following USB extensions present and activated in Extensions Manager (shown below with their version numbers) if your iMac is running OS 9.2.2:

USB Authoring Support 1.1.2
USB Device Extension 1.5.6
USB Mass Storage Support 2.1.1
USB Printer Sharing 1.0.2
USB Printer Sharing Extension 1.0.2
USB Software Locator 1.5.6
USB Support 1.5.5

Not all of these are essential for flash drive support, but USB Mass Storage Support definitely is, and some of the others may be.

OS 9 - doesn't recognize flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.