Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OGG Vorbis

Hello all,

About six years ago I ripped my 250+ CD collection using Ogg Vorbis. I had various reasons for doing this, but the most important was that Vorbis was the only codec at the time that could reliably play my gapless mixes perfectly. Playing Sasha and John Digweed's Northern Exposure on pre-gapless iTunes or mp3 is a pretty horrible experience.

Anyway, the upshot is that I now have an iPod touch, iTunes on Mac and Windows and hundreds of albums in Vorbis format that don't work (and holding me back from fully embracing iTunes and the iPod).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a plugin for iTunes on the Mac that will let me add Vorbis files to my library and play them in iTunes and in front row?

2. Is there a plugin for iTunes (or a nice third party app) that will intercept my Vorbis files and do a reasonable job of re-encoding them for iTunes/iPod playback?

3. Does anyone know why doesn't Apple support Vorbis on modern iPods in the same manner mp3 files are supported?

I know Apple used to claim that the processor power of an iPod wasn't enough for Vorbis, but that hasn't been the case for a long time. I really like Vorbis, not least of all from an idealogical standpoint, and I've kind of shunned Apple for not supporting it all of these years (the iPod touch was a gift). As a buyer of high-ish-end hi-fi and a person who gets asked for opinions on such matters by friends and family, that probably translates in to quite a few lost sales. It just seems strange to leave it out.

Thanks for any help!

Adrian

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 7:05 AM

*Is there a plugin for iTunes on the Mac that will let me add Vorbis files to my library and play them in iTunes and in front row?*

These pages may be of interest to you:
Playing ogg vorbis files using iTunes
Xiph QuickTime Components (XiphQT)
2 replies

OGG Vorbis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.