Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cover Flow

Any way to change the album sorting in Cover Flow for update 1.1.1? I would like to order based on Album Artist.

Custom built PC, Windows XP Pro, iPod classic 160GB, Bose in-ear headphones (44437), iPod Shuffle 512MB

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 5:16 PM

No change as yet. Cover flow is still basically *Album by Artist* rather than *Album by Album Artist*.

For feedback/feature requests go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html .

tt2
7 replies

Feb 17, 2008 11:45 PM in response to SithLordDarth

I'm having some trouble with my cover flow and was wondering if someone could help me out. When I scroll through the cover flow, I noticed that some albums were left out until the very end after the rest of the albums. For example, I have several Oasis albums that I see in cover flow, but one album always appears at the back of the cover flow. That album shows up, but it isn't grouped with the rest of the albums. I checked to see if various artists or compilations was checked, but they were not. Any suggestions? HELP!!! Thanks.

Feb 18, 2008 8:48 AM in response to SithLordDarth

I've got a question, so if I set all of them to compilation will it organize it correctly rather than set all of them as not being compilations? I need them set as compilations otherwise it spilts the albums up on me so will setting all to yes have the same effect?

My second question was when I do the cover flow some had originally said various artists even though there is only one artist so I went into get info and I relabeled the album artist as who ever made the album. It looks correct in itunes cover flow now but when I resync up my classic it doesn't change the album artist on the ipod and so it still says various artist. Is there a way to fix that?

My third and final question was that some album arts have now changed from the actual album art to just being a black box. Does anyone know what causes that or how to fix it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mar 19, 2008 1:58 AM in response to SithLordDarth

After much frustration and experimentation (and a visit to an Apple store which proved fruitless) I found a way (not sure if this is new or not ... I have only been an iPod user for a day now!).

Anyway I have used the compilation tag successfully for albums which are actual compilations / soundtracks, etc. However, I did not want to do this for albums where another artist has simply performed with the main artist. I also did not want to change the artist even though that would have worked. So I found that if you right click on a track -> Get info and then click on the Sorting tab and next to Artist will be a Sort Artist Field... Fill in the album artist here and you should be sorted out (and sorted correctly)

I am using an iPod classic running version 1.1.1 of the firmware and version 7.6.1.9 of iTunes on Windows XP.

Hope this helps you and Good Luck!

Mar 19, 2008 3:27 AM in response to thecc

Anyway I have used the compilation tag successfully for albums which are actual compilations / soundtracks, etc. However, I did not want to do this for albums where another artist has simply performed with the main artist. I also did not want to change the artist even though that would have worked. So I found that if you right click on a track -> Get info and then click on the Sorting tab and next to Artist will be a Sort Artist Field... Fill in the album artist here and you should be sorted out (and sorted correctly)

I use the same method, although it's easier if you adjust your columns to display Artist, Sort Artist & Album Artist side by side. Then you can just click into the Sort Artist fields that need changing. While this method works are are two potential drawbacks. In iTunes if the first track by your album artist is recorded with a guest then this pairing gets listed in the browser Artist pane rather than the album artist. On the iPod if you look in the Artist menu you may get something along the lines of:
Artist
Artist+Guest1
Artist
Artist+Guest2
Artist

I think it only becomes a problem if you have more than one album by the album artist. For this reason others might prefer to change the track names to *Title (Feat. Guest)* and the artist to *Album Artist*.

tt2

Cover Flow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.