Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade to Tiger??

I was wondering if anyone with the Air has tried "downgrading" to Tiger & how it effects performance?

Leopard IMO is a bit of a pain & a resource hog, especially on slower machines. I bet Tiger would run circles around Leopard on the Air & make it much more snappy & usable. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

MacBook 1.83GHz Core Duo w/ 802.11n, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 7:46 PM

18 replies

Feb 15, 2008 9:11 PM in response to Niel

That doesn't matter. As long as its a generic version of OS X for Intel, it technically should install.

Now, some of the features won't work, such as the multi-touch track pad & the remote disk (you could just leave Leopard intact & dual boot for that stuff), but the core OS stuff should be fine as I think most of the hardware drivers should be present in the latest version of Tiger.

Im really curious to see if anyone has tried this & the outcome.

Feb 15, 2008 9:18 PM in response to Community User

That doesn't matter.

It does. Each Mac OS X version contains drivers for specific Mac models, and requires a driver for the model of Mac it's currently on. If the driver is not present or corrupted, a kernel panic will occur almost immediately, or the system may not be recognized as bootable at all. The specific driver needed for the MacBook Air is only present in Mac OS X 10.5.

(29445)

Feb 15, 2008 10:01 PM in response to Niel

I wonder if Tiger could at least be installed & maybe the drivers could be brought over from the Air's Leopard disc?

Also, I wonder what would happen if you installed a generic version of Tiger to an external drive using another Intel Mac & then tried to boot off the drive with the Air. The Intel machines can boot from USB.

I bet there's a version of Tiger out there (probably at Apple's HQ) that works on Air.

Feb 16, 2008 2:50 AM in response to Community User

Apple have a support Article on this very issue:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25497

Don't install older versions of Mac OS than what comes with your computer

--

I could imagine it being especially 'odd' with the MBA as no retail version of Tiger (for intel machines) has shipped, so you'd have to use a grey disc which is already considered hot water for most situations.

Feb 16, 2008 6:13 AM in response to Community User

Kerry Bailey wrote:
Leopard IMO is a bit of a pain & a resource hog, especially on slower machines. I bet Tiger would run circles around Leopard on the Air & make it much more snappy & usable. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Actually, I've noticed on Intel machines that Leopard seemed a bit more peppy than Tiger. The result of optimization of the OS for Intel machines. As we get further away from the PPC transition I would expect each subsequent OS update to less and less optimized for PPCs.

To answer your original question it would be very difficult to get Tiger to work on the MBA. You could probably hack something together, but how much time and effort would you have to make in order to achieve something that most people would agree would be a downgrade in performance?

Feb 16, 2008 10:11 AM in response to dolbinau

I could imagine it being especially 'odd' with the MBA as no retail version of Tiger (for intel machines) has shipped, so you'd have to use a grey disc which is already considered hot water for most situations.

Thats true. Im pretty sure the Leopard retail disc is universal. Not so much for the Tiger retail disc. Which I always though was odd because if you lost your grey discs, you had no choice but to get specific replacements from Apple directly.

I'm thinking maybe (just maybe) you could use the grey discs that came with the Core2Duo MacBooks on the Air & install Tiger that way. Arent they generally the same hardware, except smaller?

I know there isnt a point to any of this to most people, but I generally try things like this just to do them, really just outta curiosity mostly. Im a nerd that way 🙂

Although I do generally like Tiger better than Leopard overall right now. I'd be curious to see how it performs on the Air.

Feb 16, 2008 10:16 AM in response to Community User

I'm thinking maybe (just maybe) you could use the grey discs that came with the Core2Duo MacBooks on the Air & install Tiger that way. Arent they generally the same hardware, except smaller?

No; the Core 2 Duo disks will only work on that specific Mac model.

I'd be curious to see how it performs on the Air.

The only thing you will get if you try is a kernel panic.

(29447)

Feb 16, 2008 11:56 AM in response to deggie

OK, guys. Whatever you say. Even Tiger can be made to run on a PC, but apparently it simply can't be ran on a MBA. Nope, no way no how. Oh, & Leopard rules.

How's that? Better??

Feb 16, 2008 2:36 PM in response to Community User

I am sure that we would all love to see your response written from and posted from the MBA on which you install tiger as the boot system.

I just believe apple when they state that no apple portable works on any system that was created prior to the creation of the type of machine.

so try it and let us know the result

Message was edited by: Rhyd

Feb 16, 2008 4:00 PM in response to Community User

I doubt your sarcasm will make people here more likely to tell you what you want to hear.

You asked the question, and folks have answered it. Not our problem if you didn't like the answer. You're of course, free to go do whatever you d#%^ well please; it's your computer.

Go get a set of Macbook install discs and see how far you get. My guess is that you won't even get past the setup screen.

There are three main issues to what you're proposing. All retail versions of Tiger are PPC only. The only Intel Tiger versions that are practically available to you are the machine specific install discs that come with a new system. The problem here is that those discs are not full retail versions -- they don't come with all the necessary drivers and system software so that they can be compatible with all Mac computers; just the software specific for a given machine. Lastly, if there are any Macbook Air specific drivers and software required (very likely; as an example, the new touchpad probably uses different drivers than the older ones), they likely won't be included in any consumer version of Tiger, since the MBA was released months after the sale of Tiger was discontinued.

If this is so important to you then I suggest you do some of your own research and try to find this stuff out for yourself (it's called Google). That being said, if you even do get Tiger running, don't come back complaining about system instability because you're running what is essentially an unsupported OS on the Macbook Air.

Message was edited by: Shaggywerewolf

Feb 16, 2008 6:30 PM in response to Shaggywerewolf

I didn't start the sarcasm. It just seems to be a common theme on these boards, especially when there's even a hint of someone who is GASP displeased with an Apple product.

And I should "find this stuff out for myself"? What are we all doing here then?? Isn't this forum for exchanging information & ideas?? You know, thats kind of what forums are usually for.

And maybe you can afford to blow some money on a MBA to test these things out, but I cant, so I was wondering if anyone here has even tried it. And no, genius. The magical Google doesn't have any answers to this question, thanks for the tip.

BTW, everything you went over has already been discussed, so why even chime in?? Oh, thats right, to put me in my place. Good job.

Downgrade to Tiger??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.