Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing contacts and calendar with iPod Touch

My iPod Touch has stopped syncing Address Book contacts and iCal calendar item.

I have no contacts nor calendar item on my iPod. When at tempting to sync, I get an ambiguous message about the sync not being completed because of "errors occurring while merging data." Since there is no data on the iPod, I don't know what data is being merged.

Any ideas?

PowerPCC G5, eMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2008 1:43 AM

11 replies

Mar 6, 2008 6:35 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

I have a similar issue. However, when I'm syncing the sync will progress no further than the contacts and calendars. In other words, when it tries to sync either the contacts or the calendars, it will never finish syncing. I've left it for hours and it doesn't finish. However, if I set it to not sync the contacts and calendars the sync goes as it should.

I've tried resetting and restoring the iPod, but it doesn't change anything.

How can I get the sync of the contacts & calendars to work properly.

Mar 10, 2008 10:20 PM in response to n8g

I am having the same issue as n8g. My music syncs fine, but when it gets to contacts and calendars, the iPod just shows "Sync in Progress" and never finishes.

I've reset and restored the iPod, deleted and re-installed iTunes, deleted my iTunes preferences and tried syncing with a different cable and a different USB port. None of this helped at all.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Thanks.

Mar 11, 2008 5:52 PM in response to n8g

I have an iPod Photo 60 Gb (iPod Brick--it's probably the chunkiest one made), and I started having these problems about two weeks ago. I wonder if it has to do with iTunes 7.6.1. The trouble is that the iPod can get into a state in which it continuously restarts itself, wiping out certain settings. It gets into that state either when browsing calendars or photos after a failed sync.

I have restored this puppy several times, and I still don't have all my music and photos back on it.

I wonder if any of you has .Mac as well, because the .Mac menubar item revolves while I'm syncing iPod calendars, and .Mac syncing seems generally messed up. But I don't see those processes start up in Activity Monitor.

Mar 13, 2008 12:04 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

Turns out that Microsuck Entourage was the culprit for me. For whatever reason, Entourage had taken a few items in my calendar and duplicated them thousands of time. I had three events that were duplicated almost 7,000 times each. It's no wonder why the poor little iPod was having fits up against Entourage's depredations.

To resolve the issue, I deleted all of the calendar items and contacts from Entourage. (View them in the list view, select all and delete.) I also turned off Entourage's syncing with iCal, Address Book and .Mac. After that I exported all of my iCal calendars as backups and then deleted them from iCal. I imported them one at a time into iCal. After importing each calendar, I synced the iPod to make sure that they were working.

Now the iPod is not having any trouble syncing calendars or contacts.

Mar 13, 2008 1:46 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

My brand new iPod Touch, one week old, has never successfully synced with iCal. I get nothing moved to the iPod from iCal, though there is no error message.

I've read that it might have something to do with a difference in what iCal can handle in the way of repeating events and what the iPod calendar program can.

Does Apple test these functions under anything like realistic circumstances? Or do they just plug an iPod into a Mac to see if it does or does not catch fire?

Apr 23, 2008 10:13 AM in response to n8g

oops, sorry, didn't see you PS before I asked how you reset. Thanks, that information helps. I'll give it a try. I'm wondering if we're all just spinning our wheels until this gets fixed in an update of either iTunes or iPod. I'm assuming Apple is hearing about this, but does anyone know if there is some more official way to report problems?

Syncing contacts and calendar with iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.