Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

All desktop Icons unseen after plugging in  FW drive with Leopard upgrade

771 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2008 10:17 AM by skiphunt RSS
skiphunt Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 16, 2008 8:11 AM
I don't know if this is related.. but I've been battling multiple problems ever since I upgraded my G5 to Leopard a week ago. Everything was perfect under Tiger.

Well, I think I've got everything solved except two last things.

1. My 750GH Maxtor Firewire drive... when I plug it in... does not show in the desktop and it causes both my internal drive and two other Firewire enclosures to disappear from the desktop. I can see all of them mounted in the disk utility, but if this one drive is plugged in.. all icons disappear from the desktop. If I unplug or unmount the 750GB drive.. everything comes back.

I've reformatted this drive, etc. This does not happen on my MacBookPro. The drive mounts fine on that. I've tried different cables, I've tried USB (it's a triple interface Maxtor) and nothing seems to work. I would assume there's something wrong with the drive and not my desktop... but the drive works fine on the MacBookPro.

PLEASE!! Any clues would help...

Did my Maxtor 750GB triple interface drive just go bad with the upgrade?

I don't know where else to look, I'm guessing the "geniuses" at the Apple store won't help me since this machine is out of warranty. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I've been battling all these problems ever since I started the Leopard upgrade 4 days ago and have not got much sleep.
G5 2Ghz Dual, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • Thomas Bryant Level 6 Level 6 (13,865 points)
    Hi! For starters do all the firewire enclosures have separate power supplies and are they daisy chained together or connected to onboard ports? Tom
    G-4/Sawtooth/1.8ghz Sonnet/10.5/2gig ram-G-4 1.8ghz Sawtooth 10.4.10, Mac OS X (10.5), 4-320gig SATAs

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.