Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Equalizer

I've seen all sorts of posts on the sound and the new IPOD 160 GB Classic. Is there a fix to allow the equalizer to work on the Classic? I've set the Piano EQ option on several songs in iTunes. When they play back through the IPOD Classic, with the EQ set to OFF (which I've read is the way to have the IPOD play the iTunes preset EQ) it has obvious distortion. I've updated the firmware in my Classic, today, (Feb 17/08)so firmware isn't the solution.

When I go back into iTunes and set the EQ off on the particular songs the sound is better. I tried the same things with my older 3G IPOD. The sound is definitely better on the older device.

Any help would be appreciated. If no fix exists I hope Apple is reading this. This has to be fixed. Portable, superior quality sound is why I have an IPOD. My 3G is a great device, I've just out grown the capacity.

Asus P4C, Windows XP Pro, IPOD Classic 160GB

Posted on Feb 17, 2008 3:27 PM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2008 3:39 PM in response to Kens Ipod

The distortion you are hearing is likely clipping, which gets worse when the EQ is engaged. Clipping is the inability of a device to properly reproduce a song's "intrinsic volume" as encoded into the MP3 file (in other words reducing the volume on the iPod will not eliminate the clipping). This is the fault of the iPod circuitry as well as the poor production of today's recordings (most pop, rock, hip-hop, etc. CDs are overcompressed which in turn causes clipping on many devices).

I use a program called MP3Gain to reduce the gain of most of my music. The program works by adding a tag to the music files to lower the average gain of the songs. It does not degrade the sound, but it will reduce the overall volume of the tracks. It is also 100% reversible. You can find MP3Gain Here.

Equalizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.