Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sRaw support for Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III

I just shot some images in sRaw and was suprised to find the "unsupported image format" message...

I'm using Ap2, 10.5.2 and the latest graphics libraries...

Is this not supported or am I experiencing a unique problem?

I realize the convert to DNG is a workaround - but I'd rather not...

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2008 12:33 PM

9 replies

Feb 18, 2008 1:19 PM in response to tidysteve

tidysteve wrote:
are there any benefits to sRAW other than file size ???

That is the benifit - RAW image in a small file size.

However, since it drops the MP count by 3/4 I've never seen the point in using it. Just shoot in a smaller JPG format if you are concerned about space. Save the RAW format for when you want quality.

Feb 18, 2008 5:39 PM in response to tidysteve

When the 1D Mark III came out (first with sRaw), I saw someone at dpreview (a sports photographer) saying that for the sort of work he did, the resolution wasn't important, but that it would be valuable to be able to send a smaller file wirelessly (using the WFT-1 or whatever it is called) to his editor. The smaller file size would speed up transfers.

On a 1Ds Mark III, the 5MP sRaw seems more useful to me, as it is more than enough for casual shooting. Though, why you would bring a 1DsIII for casual shooting is beyond me.

Feb 19, 2008 5:56 AM in response to tidysteve

sRaw is indeed just a smaller Raw as the name implies.
And in certain situations for remote situations, low storage, uploading on low bandwidth for example it's critical
Though some might not find it useful we do because unlike JPEG it gives the full lossless RAW editing control post processing that is often vital for managing color, highlight, shadows etc

Hopefully Apple will realize this.

sRaw support for Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.