Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote login and screen sharing

Hi, Have managed to get screen sharing working on my mac. I guess if I were to use it on tiger to share a screen with a leopard user, I would have to run That chicken of the VNC program right? I guess what I noticed is that I can't drag files or anything. How can this be accomplished. Basically I haven't tried screen sharing with my computer on the outside of my network. Here is what I assume I would have to do. Vnc://MY ISP IP/MY ROUTER/MY COMPUTER . Is that correct?? My ports are opened for VNC as well.

However, I was wondering, what exatly is the difference between the remote login option in sharing as to screen sharing. What is the best way to get into my computer if say I was across the world. Any help on this would be fantastic. Hope to hear form someone. Thank you

Nathan

iMac 2.4 GHz 24" 4 gig RAM 500 Gig HD, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 19, 2008 12:01 PM

5 replies

Feb 19, 2008 12:22 PM in response to Nathan Gogol

As to your first problem with screen sharing, you're right about Chicken of the VNC; it will work in a similar way on Tiger.

To be able to drag files, etc., in the screen sharing mode, you have to set up preferences to do that.

Go to system preferences/sharing; highlight the Remote Management tab. Now, in the lower right, click the Options button. Up will come a variety of things you can do while sharing that computer's screen with another computer on the local network.

The remote login option uses Apple Remote Desktop and allows access from, as you say, across the world. Maybe someone else will respond with details on how to set that up; I don't use it.

Feb 19, 2008 12:31 PM in response to Nathan Gogol

To move the files back and forth you need to mount the remote volume. To do that type command+K in Finder and enter afp://address-of-remote-computer
Here address-of-remote-computer is the same one you type after vnc:// to do screen sharing.

In order for this to work, on the remote computer you have to go to system preferences->sharing and enable file sharing. Once you do that in the same preferences pane you'll see what to enter for address-of-remote-computer.

You can also click on Screen Sharing and allow that. make sure you click "computer settings" and enter the remote password.

This will allow you to do file and screen sharing with that computer from anywhere in the world. In practice I wouldn't do screen sharing if you are far away as the connection speed will be terrible.

Feb 19, 2008 12:39 PM in response to Red Jacket Mike

Thank you so much. I will give it a shot and see if I can do these things across the internet now. So I guess now I will try and continue this post and see if anyone can assist me in doing remote login. (can on login via pc or does this all have to be mac based. I guess the same goes for screen sharing. Could I control my screen form a pc if the need be.

Also is there a way in my mac to see what my ip is. My router gives me address always for the home network, advanced shows me my routers address. How can I see what my address is without going to webpages for it to show me. I remember in windows it was ipconfig. How do I check it here. Also, what if I was say away from my house, and my chat app was open on that computer and I was on another chat way, is there a way to see what my address is. Basically, if I was communicating with you say on ichat, would it be possible for me to see your ip somehow. I guess I could always check the firewall log but is there another way ASIDE from little snitch as well. Thanks

Nathan

Feb 20, 2008 5:21 AM in response to Nathan Gogol

Hi, I am going to try keep this post going as there are some updates here as well.

1. I am still interested in how to find out an ip.
2. K, so here's the deal with my VNC. K, so I am running Leopard. I have forwarded all the known ports for this to work. Also for file sharing. Now, I will clarify my network. DSL, 4 macs on it including mine. I have a static IP, so the ports are forwarded for my address. Now as success, very much nothing. Most luck I have had is on my end. For ex. if I were to open the screen sharing program or just connect to a server in the finder via vnc://HOME IP, a dialogue box would come up, asking for my password, I am assuming the one I made in the VNC settings. Once it connects it goes into the proper mood with an infinit amount of screens which makes me have to force quite but the point is it works on my end. Works the same with remote management. I have had however success controling my screen from my roomates make on our home network by typing VNC://STATIC IP.
Anyhow, back to the situation. So I was feeling really good about all this so I went to a friends place who also is running leopard and was attempting to connect to my computer. This person has no router, pretty much all ports are open. I connected the screen sharing thing and remote management in his settings just to be safe. So I went to finder, connected to server, type vnc://MY HOME IP
I did get a response back actually, asked for a password, but the username was that persons computer. So I changed the username to my username and put the VNC password, and either 2 things happened, when the permission thing came up and I pressed no, it would stop, if I pressed yes, IT would hang, hang, and hang, with no real action. So I then though I would try AFP and my address and sure enough that worked, so does anyone know what could be wrong, am I going about this the right way. I tried doing with his computer what I did with mine by sharing my own screen within my own computer but it wouldn't let me, perhaps cause he is the only on on the network and directly pluged into the cable modem. However I took his ip, set up his sharing prefrence for screen sharing came home and tried his address in the VNC thing and it said no good basically, check connections, etc. So I really hope someone wil keep this post going. I would love to be able to access my computer away from home. Also if anyone is willing to point me in the direct of remote login, I am all ears. Feel free to contact me on ichat, username littleharoldeh (AIM). Thanks.

Nathan

Remote login and screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.