Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Network Drive "Connection Failed" in Leopard over Extreme

5041 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2008 5:31 PM by ThatGirl3 RSS
XP Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 19, 2008 7:32 PM
I have a USB network drive on an Airport Extreme base station - the laptop is running Leopard 10.5.2.

The disk can be mounted via Finder and Timemachine and works well after initial set up. If the MacBook Pro sleeps and wakes then the disk is no longer mounted. Attempting to remount via Finder results in a "Connection Failed" message. The only way to re-mount the network drive appears to be a power cycle of the Extreme base station.

Any clues as to how to fix this?

Jim
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • mjt50 Calculating status...
    Feb 24, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to XP)
    I am having the same problem and have not found a solution. Very annoying.
    Mac Book Air, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • David J. Billings Calculating status...
    Feb 25, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to XP)
    I hate to be a "me too" when posting, but me, too. Exact same problem.

I have a WDS set up with another AE that's connected to my cable modem. The AE that has my USB HD connected is being used a remote base station.

Before I set it up this way, I had the AE's connected to each other via Ethernet. I didn't have the issue then.

I'm not sure if that's part of the problem, but I thought I'd put it out there.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Black
  • marqscott Calculating status...
    Feb 27, 2008 7:05 AM (in response to XP)
    I have the same issue. USB drive connected to Airport Extreme. After the MacBook Pro goes to sleep and wakes I cannot reconnect the drive until I reset the Airport Extreme.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Airport Extreme
  • mjt50 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Feb 29, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to XP)
    has anyone talked to apple support about a solution?
    thx
  • mjt50 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Feb 29, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to XP)
    talked to apple support
    semi fixed the problem
    currently it looks like they dont have a patch for when the computer goes to sleep and only way to access the HD after sleep is reset the airport

however if you eject the external disc before you standby you can log back in ok after you put computer to sleep
    only issue is if you leave the computer and it falls asleep without manually disconnecting the drive

i suggest the more of us who let apple know of the issue they will get someone working on a patch

mt
  • JThomasLambert Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I feel like I'm joining a support group or something. Picked up an Airport Extreme yesterday and connected a LaCie Porsche 500 GB. Everything seemed to work fine but then started to get the connection failed (presumably after the macbook went to sleep). Same solution--restarting the airport fixed it--until it fell asleep again.

PLEASE HELP US APPLE!

BTW, I wonder if this is a known issue and if that's the real reason behind no time machine backups via airport-connected USB drives.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5), Airport Extreme USB drive connection failure
  • ThatGirl3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 19, 2008 5:31 PM (in response to XP)
    This is happening to me too. I've had the Airport Extreme for a while but just upgraded form my POwerBook to a Macbook Pro. I didn't have this issue on the PB, just the Macbook. Very annoying. I hope they fix it soon.
    MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.