Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Drive "Connection Failed" in Leopard over Extreme

I have a USB network drive on an Airport Extreme base station - the laptop is running Leopard 10.5.2.

The disk can be mounted via Finder and Timemachine and works well after initial set up. If the MacBook Pro sleeps and wakes then the disk is no longer mounted. Attempting to remount via Finder results in a "Connection Failed" message. The only way to re-mount the network drive appears to be a power cycle of the Extreme base station.

Any clues as to how to fix this?

Jim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2008 7:32 PM

7 replies

Feb 25, 2008 10:32 AM in response to XP

I hate to be a "me too" when posting, but me, too. Exact same problem.

I have a WDS set up with another AE that's connected to my cable modem. The AE that has my USB HD connected is being used a remote base station.

Before I set it up this way, I had the AE's connected to each other via Ethernet. I didn't have the issue then.

I'm not sure if that's part of the problem, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Feb 29, 2008 4:51 PM in response to XP

talked to apple support
semi fixed the problem
currently it looks like they dont have a patch for when the computer goes to sleep and only way to access the HD after sleep is reset the airport

however if you eject the external disc before you standby you can log back in ok after you put computer to sleep
only issue is if you leave the computer and it falls asleep without manually disconnecting the drive

i suggest the more of us who let apple know of the issue they will get someone working on a patch

mt

Mar 5, 2008 5:07 PM in response to mjt50

I feel like I'm joining a support group or something. Picked up an Airport Extreme yesterday and connected a LaCie Porsche 500 GB. Everything seemed to work fine but then started to get the connection failed (presumably after the macbook went to sleep). Same solution--restarting the airport fixed it--until it fell asleep again.

PLEASE HELP US APPLE!

BTW, I wonder if this is a known issue and if that's the real reason behind no time machine backups via airport-connected USB drives.

Network Drive "Connection Failed" in Leopard over Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.