1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 20, 2008 3:30 PM by Old Toad
dvb Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
after having iphoto problems and assuming a corrupted library, i have rebuilt the library first with iphoto, then with iphoto library manager. iphoto still isn't showing any photos after oct 2007. i see the folders and pix for more recent photos inside the iphoto package and can open them successfully. i've also found folders earlier than october with pix that aren't in the rebuilt library. i know there are problems with re-importing. so i have 3 questions
--is there a way with mac/leopard to do a directory comparison and find out specifically which pix from the original iphoto library are missing from the rebuilt library.
--once i know all the pix that are missing, is my best strategy to copy them to a spot outside of the iphoto package, then import them to the rebuilt library?
--i haven't checked this out in detail, but several of the files that iphoto library manager didn't copy over were movie files--those little .avi files imported originally from my camera. is there a different way i should be handling those?

thanks for any suggestions,
-db
p.s. thanks to this board for the iphoto library manager suggestion.

powermac g5, macbook pro intel core2duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (121,495 points)
    dvb:

It appears that your only option to get all of the photos and movies into the library is to create a new library and import the Originals folder from the old one. However, you may be able to keep the keywords, titles and comments of those photos in the library now that you can see. Just follow Tutorial #1.

To help prevent this type of loss, damaged/corrupted library database file, see the tip at the end of my signature below.

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.

I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.