Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't load...reinstall?

I upgraded to 10.5.2 and haven't been able to get mail to load at all. It crashes every time I try to load it and tells me to report to Apple. Before, in my PC days, I would have reinstalled the program. Since I'm a mac newb I am wondering how to reinstall a program like mail that comes with the OS. Or if there is another, simpler, solution. I am using mail with my gmail account via IMAP.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2008 2:17 PM

6 replies

Feb 20, 2008 2:21 PM in response to jaredcoe

Go to your home folder -> Library -> Preferences, and delete com.apple.mail.plist. You will probably have to rebuild your mail accounts in Mail preferences. See if that clears it up.

Generally, when OS X applications start to misbehave, it is usually a problem with a corrupt preferences or cache file that is the culprit. The application itself is rarely at fault. A good troubleshooting first step is to log in to a different user account and try the application there.

Feb 28, 2008 3:16 PM in response to jaredcoe

I have exactly the same issue. Since a software update about a week ago, whenever i try and open my mail client it just crashes before properly opening.

After deleting the mail.plist (as stated above) my Mail client opened correctly and asked me to enter my email account information. But when i fill it all in again with my gmail details using IMAP it goes back to crashing again without even opening.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix? Otherwise for the time being I'll just have to use my browser for Gmail.

Mail won't load...reinstall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.