2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2008 5:41 PM by William Rivas
No Exit Level 1 (0 points)
I own a 2.16 Ghz MBP. Last night, I installed 4 Gigs of ram (2x2 Gigs)purchased from crucial.com into my MBP. (Yes, I realize that the MBP only utilizes about 3.3 Gigs of the ram, but I wanted the benefits of running with a matched pair).

After installing the ram, my MBP recognizes the new ram and everything seemed fine. And, it was fine until I unplugged the MBP's power and went mobile. Then, after a few minutes of use, the MBP completely shut down and turned off. I tried turning it back on, but it would not. So, I plugged the MBP and it booted up fine. I unplugged it again, and again, after a few minutes of use, the MBP shut down completely. Being that the battery was fully charged, I don't know why it would behave this way.

Any way, anybody have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Message was edited by: No Exit

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • shorap Level 1 (45 points)
    Hmm, weird; I've got 4 gigs in my MPro and use crucial ram also but I don't have that problem. Can't help you here but just know that maybe it's faulty ram.
  • William Rivas Level 5 (4,250 points)
    No Exit wrote:
    I own a 2.16 Ghz MBP. Last night, I installed 4 Gigs of ram (2x2 Gigs)purchased from crucial.com into my MBP. (Yes, I realize that the MBP only utilizes about 3.3 Gigs of the ram, but I wanted the benefits of running with a matched pair).

After installing the ram, my MBP recognizes the new ram and everything seemed fine. And, it was fine until I unplugged the MBP's power and went mobile. Then, after a few minutes of use, the MBP completely shut down and turned off. I tried turning it back on, but it would not. So, I plugged the MBP and it booted up fine. I unplugged it again, and again, after a few minutes of use, the MBP shut down completely. Being that the battery was fully charged, I don't know why it would behave this way.

Any way, anybody have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Message was edited by: No Exit

It sounds as if you have a defective battery. I would call Apple and explain your MBP's symptoms. If the battery is swollen it is likely a candidate.