You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change desktop icon images?

Hi!

I wondered if anyone knows how to change desktop icon images? (such as the HD icon & other frequently used documents on my desktop.)

I know to CTRL-click, then go to Get Info. Then if i click on the image and paste a new image (such as a correct sized jpeg). doing this, it very clearly replaces the icon...

HOWEVER, all i see is the "standard JPEG" icon image - not the actual picture itself.

Apparently people using OS 9 can do the above steps and it works fine. Does anyone know how to get around this with OS X?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Lily

Posted on Oct 16, 2005 1:46 AM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2005 7:24 AM in response to Lily.

One of the ways I have found to copy an image and make it an icon is as follows:

The pic that you want to copy can be any size or from anywhere such as the internet, etc. If it is a jpg then open the picture so that you can see it on your computer. Control-command-shift-4 will change your pointer to a crosshair. Select the area of the pic that you want to make as your icon by holding down your mouse button at one of the corners of the pic and letting go of the button at the opposite corner of the pic. Try to make sure you just highlight the part of the pic you want as your icon. Open the "Info" window for the icon that you want to change. Press command-v. This should paste the pic making it your new icon. If you need more help let me know.

Michele (aka huhknee)

Oct 16, 2005 5:26 PM in response to huhknee

Hi Michele (huhknee)

Thanks for your reply! I did your steps - and yes, it definitely changes the icon to the PNG file - but it doesn't show the actual picture. instead it displays the standard PNG icon image. (white piece of paper, standard pic and letters PNG).

it must be something so simple. oh the wonders of computers....

pls let me know if you have any tips!

thanks again!

Lily

Oct 16, 2005 5:38 PM in response to huhknee

hi huhknee!

just got some advice and it worked! thought i'd let u know.

seems i had to open the image in an image-processing program first. (i used Graphic Converter, but apparently others like Photoshop does it too). By doing this it creates an "image preview" - which is what i was lacking. Then when i paste that new image in the Info window - it works a treat!

Thanks again for your help!

Lily

Oct 16, 2005 6:00 PM in response to Lily.

Hi Lily,

That's really strange because I just made one by making my text bigger in Safari and copying to the clipboard then pasting to the "Info" icon box using your name as it appears on this page. I didn't have to open the image in anything. Here is how it appeared after I pasted it into "Info" icon box:

http://homepage.mac.com/huhknee/.Pictures/Info.png

And here it is showing as an icon on my desktop:

http://homepage.mac.com/huhknee/.Pictures/Desktop.png

It should work without opening it into any other program. Just out of curiosity are you opening the info window by right-clicking on the icon? I had read somewhere that people were having trouble copying icons when they were opening the info window using other ways besides right-click then "get info". Anyway, at least you found a way to get it to work.

Michele (aka huhknee)

Oct 16, 2005 6:11 PM in response to huhknee

Hi again!

yes, i'm opening the Info window by right clicking, then going Get Info.

yeah, strange that i have to open the image... but all my images are set to open automatically in Preview. and since preview pics dont have "image preview" icons, this could be the reason...

ah well, at least i found a way for it to work! thanks for all your help!

lily.

Change desktop icon images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.