20418 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2008 11:33 AM by paikko
If you use Party Shuffle, yes. Right click on any track and select play next in Party Shuffle. The first time you do it in any given session, iTunes will switch to Party Shuffle and start playing your selection. You can also set Party Shuffle to use a particular playlist so that when you don't get a chance to select something, it reverts to playing that.
It does not work like Winamp. As Meg notes, you can put the ones you want into the Shuffle list using "Play Next in Party Shuffle." If you want to change the order, just drag them up or down.
By the way, there is no reason you can't use the same songs in both iTunes and Winamp if you happen to prefer certain features of Winamp.
But that "Play Next in Party Shuffle" and manually changing order just isn't good enough
I googled queue-feature for iTunes and found posts to some other forums suggesting this feature 7 years ago, and still it has not been implemented.
The feature that I would like to see would be something like this:
Add a fixed playlist "Cut in Queue" below the party shuffle playlist. Then allow user to add songs to the queue. And when itunes is playing and there are songs in queue, it will play them first and otherwise continue as usually.
- User clicks "My saturday music" playlist and starts playing songs
- User browsers the song library and finds a song she wants to play and sends it to queue while the "My saturday music" playlist is being played.
- User finds another song from library and sends it to queue.
- When the song that is being played from "My saturday music" ends then iTunes plays next the first song from Queue.
- When that song ends the next one is played from the queue (iTunes would play all songs from the queue).
- When the queue is empty (all queue songs are played) iTunes continues playing the next song from "My saturday music"
And, yes, I did send this feature request to apple also: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html
Can you do following with the party suffle?
1. While playing a songlist, select a song that will be played next and after that resume to songlist.
I guess it is possible if you first send the whole playlist to party suffle or assign the playlist to party suffle and then use the "play next" command. But what if you have already started to play the songlist? Will you manually pick the songs that have not been played yet to be sent to party suffle also? To queue songs this way would force you to always listen your music from party suffle, and I don't like that users are forced to use more complicated features than needed. It should be possible to start playing songs from your library, songlists, searches etc. and queue songs to be played next.
2. Add a song A to be played next and add a song B to be played after A. The party suffle "play next" feature will always place the song B to be played first. A real life scenario: You are selecting songs to be played next with your friends and of course the song selected first should be next but "play next" in itunes will play the song selected last to be played first. You need to manually reorder the songs and that is annoying
So, I can live with iTunes, but I don't think that it is intuitive to use if you want to listen music and while at it, pick some songs to be played in the middle. Usually apple has thought these kinds of things very well for users, but in this case I don't think they have nailed it.