Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.2 made Safari freeze my whole computer

Before Leopard, Safari would freeze (apparently when viewing a Flash site; I'm not positive this was the trigger) and the freeze would freeze the Finder and many other apps as well. I used Firefox and that solved it. When Leopard came out, I was able to use Safari again. With 10.5.2, the problem returned on the G5 dual, but not on my Intel MacBook Pro. Safari freezes, I can't quit, I can't even force quit and I can't do much else. Sometimes, if I let the computer sit for 10 minutes or so, everything is okay (after I quit Safari, that is), but not always. I'm back to Firefox and I don't feel good about it. Any ideas on how to get back to work?

MacBook Pro and G5 dual, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2008 9:57 AM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2008 10:45 AM in response to Raja Hornstein

Both Safari and Firefox freeze up my iMac G5. I can surf around for a few minutes, then suddenly I get the beach ball of death. Attempting to force-quit via Cmd-Alt-Esc doesn't work.

If I wait long enough, sometimes media content (such as a flash video) will start playing audio, but still no ability to use menus, swich apps, force quit, etc.

I reloaded Leopard off a clean install (vs. the original Archive & Install), but used my Time Machine backup to restore the apps. Next step I guess is to nuke both Safari and Firefox and reinstall from scratch.

Feb 27, 2008 11:21 AM in response to Troy Curtis

I have the same problems on my iMac G5. Both browsers, actually any browser, and usually with Flash heavy content. There are a number of threads about this, including my own. None of them have any real answers. I suspect it has something to do with the ATI drivers. I base this on research of other people and stuff I found googling.

Btw, I also seemed to have similar problems after the latest Tiger update. This was one of the reasons I upgraded to Leopard a couple of weeks ago (clean-up the system, fresh install, etc.).

ps.
Also check your /var/log/windowserver.log for message like below, I get them whenever a freeze start to happen (you can tail -f the log file in terminal, then browse to a flash site to test):

Feb 26 21:49:16 69 kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowTransform: Invalid window 2523

and:

Feb 26 21:49:01 69 kCGErrorFailure: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Dock" for over 1 second. Server has re-enabled them.

Feb 28, 2008 5:57 AM in response to Raja Hornstein

I'm having trouble with Firefox locking up and not being able to force quit. Had the same thing happen in Itunes yesterday for the FIRST TIME EVER. This is my second mac. On my mini, when it locked (and it does on browsers sometimes) I could force quit. Now I have to shut down machine to recover the program. Using Safari to type this because I don't want to go through a reboot right now. Heads up Apple team.

Enjoy.

Mar 3, 2008 10:03 PM in response to Raja Hornstein

I had Firefox 2 freeze up on me and I could not force quit anything. I first suspected Time machine; I told it to ignore 10 folders; no help. Then put it on manual. Then I made sure spotlight was not indexing. Seemed to happen on a Youtube (flash?) page. When Firefox crashes , I have to Restart the mac with the power button. Very annoying. I can't figure the cause on this one. In terms of Firefox extensions, I had recently installed PicLens, could that be a cause? dunno....

10.5.2 made Safari freeze my whole computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.