Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity Monitor dock icon only shows one processor?

Does the eight-core Mac Pro under Leopard only show one of its two processors on the Activity Monitor dock icon? My previous PowerMac dual-2.0 showed two separate bars running on Tiger.

The CPU Meter shows eight bars, so that relieves my concern a bit, but it's disconcerting to only see one bar on the dock. Is this normal?

Mac Pro 2.8 Octo-core, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 6 GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GT

Posted on Feb 23, 2008 10:00 AM

9 replies

Feb 23, 2008 3:06 PM in response to GRS

I did check the preferences before posting – there is no option to show two bars instead of one.

Floating CPU Window is not really what I'm after...I like the out-of-your-way aspect of the dock icon. I'm wondering if this is a Leopard-specific change for dual-processor machines, or just for the eight-cores? From my POV it's a reduction in functionality for no good reason. I like to see how the load compares on my two processors.

Feb 23, 2008 8:36 PM in response to Ein

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. I did some googling and found more people with eight-cores who could not view more than one bar in the dock icon.

I understand that showing eight bars in the icon might've been unreadable, but I would have preferred that they show two bars for the dual processors, instead of leaving us with one bar. I'll have to look into some alternate utilities, but it's a shame Apple decided to regress functionality on their top-end machines.

Activity Monitor dock icon only shows one processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.