Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow sms opening

Hi everyone!
Is anyone experiencinng problems with the SMS application? On my phone it takes at least 5-6secs to open the app, so it's very annoing. Even if I'm actually reading a text, it takes again 5secs to go back to my sms list.
Any help on that?
I'm running 1.1.3, 4.6BL

PB G4 1.67GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2008 1:03 AM

25 replies

Feb 25, 2008 2:38 AM in response to Walid van Boetzelaer1

Hi,
I am facing the same issue. Well i dont have too many contacts as well (I wouldn't call 60 contacts as too many). Also i have noticed that the firsat tiem when i open the sms app, it is really slow (4-5 sec). If i press the home button and then again open the sms app immediately, the time lag is much smaller (2-3 sec.)
I guess this could be because the data (sms list) is cached(for some time interval) for retrieval, whereas when we open the sms app first time (after some time)it retrieves from its mini database store. I am a developer so i can just think of this as being the cause.

Also if the second time the sms list is being read form the cache, then 2-3 sec of lag time is just too much.

Feb 25, 2008 3:45 AM in response to Walid van Boetzelaer1

Hi,

I'm having the same problem too. Didn't use to be that slow over the first month, and that's with the same amount of contacts as I have now. I regularly delete the sms conversations so it's nothing to do with too many texts already stored on the iPhone. It could possibly be the addition of music put onto the iPod feature??? i've only filled 2.55GB with music, but has been slower since i've added the music?

Feb 25, 2008 6:30 AM in response to SolarPower

SolarPower wrote:
This may be due to large number of contacts you have in your iPhone.

Are you suggesting that people should delete their contacts in order for SMS app running smoothly?! This is ridiculous.
I also have this issue. Makes no sense when there are no graphics, only letters. Apple should fix this asap.

Feb 25, 2008 6:39 AM in response to Walid van Boetzelaer1

I've not noticed any issues with mine, and I have over 1000 contacts in my contact list. I also have several songs, videos and podcasts in the iPod section. I would guess that you could start with a reset and then a restore to see if that would correct the issue.
I also notice that a couple of people reporting this are from the UK, so it could have something to do with the carrier. Not sure though, so I'm not trying to place any blame.

Hope this helps you.

Feb 25, 2008 3:52 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

This freaking phone..
im so tired of it..
im going to swap it and get a new one.

Its so slow..
it always freezes.
it loses service until i turn it off and turn it on again. (even in open places where i usually get service.)
AND ITS BEEN I A CASE (not a single scratch on it - I treat it like a baby)

I'm tired of the little things its missing too. (MMS+TEXT FORWARDING especially)

Feb 26, 2008 12:31 PM in response to simonp

I have had this issue for some time. Did an entire restore (and did not restore my contacts or anything else (completely fresh start), back at 1.1.3, and the problem came back quickly. Since others are having the problem, I am leaning toward there not being a hardware issue. I am in the US, never jailbroken this phone, and this is original hardware (June 29). It takes 5-7 seconds most times, esp. when I got a pop-up alert of a new SMS, and select "Reply". Updating to 1.1.4 right now, but I am doubtful...

Feb 26, 2008 12:35 PM in response to Walid van Boetzelaer1

Read this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5851978#5851978

While it is about other app issues, my response is about the OS and how it works (and slows and/or has issues over time between reboots).

Remember, it is a mini computer, not just a phone. A reboot is needed now and then for a fresh start. (and I am not talking about turning off then on....and as for a restore, that should be the last resort).

slow sms opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.