Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use dhcp to point to tfpt server

Is anyone using the OS X server dhcp to point to a tftp server. I have been using the osx DHCP and it is working ok for the 'normal' computer network. I am adding IP telephony and I want to continue using the OS X DHCP if possible. From what I understand, when the IP phone connect to the DHCP server, they can be given the address information to the tftp server to download configuration files.

So the question is as stated... has anyone done this? or does anyone have a recommendation.

Ted

g4, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2008 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2008 10:08 PM

It is possible to do - you need to add the specific option numbers that the phone needs.

You have to get under the hood to do this, though - you can't do it through the GUI.

You need to edit /etc/bootpd.plist to add the options.

As man bootpd states:

DHCP options may also be specified using the naming convention:
dhcp option_optioncode
replacing option_code with a numeric value in the range of 1 through 254. For example, to
specify option code 128, specify a property named dhcp option128.

So, for example, if your phones use DHCP Option 150 for the TFTP server address, you'd add something like:

<pre class=command><key>dhcp option150</key>
<string>192.168.2.3</string></pre>

Which adds DHCP Option 150 (tftp server) to the DHCP configuration that hands out the address 192.168.2.3.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2008 10:08 PM in response to Ted Petrosky

It is possible to do - you need to add the specific option numbers that the phone needs.

You have to get under the hood to do this, though - you can't do it through the GUI.

You need to edit /etc/bootpd.plist to add the options.

As man bootpd states:

DHCP options may also be specified using the naming convention:
dhcp option_optioncode
replacing option_code with a numeric value in the range of 1 through 254. For example, to
specify option code 128, specify a property named dhcp option128.

So, for example, if your phones use DHCP Option 150 for the TFTP server address, you'd add something like:

<pre class=command><key>dhcp option150</key>
<string>192.168.2.3</string></pre>

Which adds DHCP Option 150 (tftp server) to the DHCP configuration that hands out the address 192.168.2.3.

use dhcp to point to tfpt server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.