Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder is loosing the path

When I am in a application such as QXP or Illustrator and importing files or images from the server, and then go back to import more file the open window use to always default back to the last folder I was in. Lately it always changes back to my users document folder after every open or import. I called Quark and they told me it was a problem with the OS because it was an issue with the open/import function and because it also happens with Illustrator.

I tried creating a new account and had the same problem. I created new QXP preferences and had the same problem and I created all new user preferences and had the same problem. Does anyone know what specific preference or setting is responsible for keeping track of this information or what can be done about it?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 27, 2008 8:25 AM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2008 12:10 PM in response to MacDaddi

I would start by checking Quark preferences: Application/default path. Is it checked? Is it the path to the folder you keep ending up in? That's also the default path on startup in Illustrator, I think, though it should do as you say for subsequent Opens. Did you try deleting/rebuilding Illustrators' preferences specifically? That one seems odd.

null

Feb 29, 2008 11:52 AM in response to please oh please oh please

Quark's solution was to set a default path which was not done. This is not a practical solution because the users are pulling images from many different places on several different job folders. I haven't done anything with Illustrator yet, I do not know how to rebuild Illustrator's preferences.

This user is now telling me that he is locking up Quark a lot when trying to link to images anywhere on the server. He is working around it by downloading them all to his desktop. He has said that this is happening on several different jobs. There are six other users in the same department running the same image on the same type of Mac and having no problems.

Feb 29, 2008 12:01 PM in response to MacDaddi

If other users work fine, the first thing I'd check is to make sure that the user having problems isn't using non-standard characters anywhere in his file paths. especially / or \. Depending on the server set-up, it might be picky about file or folder names. If he's working from a folder on his computer named "Quark files/Final" for instance, it might help to rename it "Quark_files-Final".

Maybe.

Mar 22, 2008 10:27 PM in response to MacDaddi

I had the same problem and drove it drove me nuts!

I tried many fixes for the problem such as reinstalling Quark Xpress, Repairing file permissions and Repairing the Disk but to no avail.

The only way I was able to fix the problem was to do a complete reinstall of the OS.

You must use the full reinstall option thus overwriting the previous OS.

Another option is a is a third party app called Default Folder X.
http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

This app makes it easy to set up different default folders for each application you use as well as other time saving tools for finder management.

I hope this helps.

Finder is loosing the path

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.