Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid Map Node

In the beginning of the month I installed Tiger and was having some major problems with my programs quitting and my mac running overall crappy. I ran disk utilities off the OSX Tiger disk and it couldn't fix the error "Invalid Map Node".

I wiped the drive clean and installed everything again and things were great for a few hours and then it went down hill again. I ran the utility off the OSX Tiger disk. Could not fix "Invalid Map Node".

I went out and bought a brand new hard drive. Installed everything and the system rocked! I ran the disk utility and there were no errors. No complaints, no problems for many days. Then suddenly last night Photoshop started quitting as well as fetch and safari. The finder even started quitting again. I got out the OSX Tiger disk and ran the utility again, guess what... "Invalid Map Node".

Now, I have 512 of ram which should be plenty, I am only using 1 program at a time anyway. My mac is a Dual G4 and I've had no issues pre OSX Tiger.

What is "Invalid Map Node" and is there anyway I can fix this for good or atleast enough to use the computer without wanting to throw it out the window?

Will someone please help me?

Posted on Oct 10, 2005 8:30 AM

11 replies

Oct 10, 2005 9:04 AM in response to Michael Pilat

Hi Michael;

With Photoshop, I would say that 512 is barely enough RAM. You are probably hitting the disk pretty hard because of that small amount of memory.

Disk Warrior is able to fix disk problems that Disk Utilities can not. You might try that.

The big question is why are you getting these and on that front I can't be much help sorry.

Allan

Oct 10, 2005 9:15 AM in response to Michael Pilat

Hi Michael;

I am not sure about tiger being harder on disk but I do know it does work with them differently.

One question I forgot to ask on my last message; how much free disk space do you have? Insufficient free disk space can cause disk corruption. The general rule of thumb is to always have at least 10% of the disk space free. In your case with Photoshop and the small amount of RAM, I would suggest even more like 15 to 20%.

How did you upgrade to Tiger?

Allan

Oct 10, 2005 9:33 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi Tim;

My thoughts on the amount of memory go like this. Photoshop basically uses a bunch of memory and with only 512 MB of RAM there are probably large amount of disk space being used by swap files. That could be increasing the workload for the disk. It was just an idea to try and help him.

That is also why I am asking him about the amount of free disk space. If that has gone down, disk corruption can result from that. If he upgraded to Tiger with archive & install and still has the Previous System folder that could be why he is noticing the disk corruption after going to Tiger. I know I am guessing here but I think it is a possibility so I asked.

Allan

Oct 10, 2005 9:50 AM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi Tim;

Sorry for being so touchy. I took it the other way round to mean what I said wasn't worth anything.

Maybe by us slogging it out the OP has gained a bit more insight. If nothing else we certainly kept his topic at the top of the list.

I do have to agree with you that whatever is causing his problem the level of the operating system is least likely the cause of it.

Allan

Oct 10, 2005 10:37 AM in response to Allan Eckert

The drive that I have Tiger installed on is BRAND NEW (7 days old)

It is a 160 gig drive and i'm only using at most 7 gigs right now.

That being said, I have to ask let's drop the photoshop issue. It does the same quitting with Safari.

Now RAM shouldn't have anything to do with that if Safari is the only thing open.

Will Disk Warrior actually work with Tiger, on the apple store there are many negative reviews for it.

Thanks!

Invalid Map Node

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.