Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

port-forwarding or UPnP on VERIZON FIOS modem/router

I'm trying to help someone access his home network remotely from another location. he just got the new Verizon FIOS network.

i'm new to the world of port-forwarding and UPnP forwarding, but have learned a lot in a short period of time.

I can easily setup port-forwarding and UPnP forwarding (necessary to setup the afp file sharing, screen sharing, etc) on Linksys routers that have those capabilities.

My friend just got the new Verizon FIOS network installed. It is smoking fast both up and down. We figured out that the box Verizon provided him (it's a fairly huge thing) is an internet modem, a router, and a wireless router all in one.

And once we accessed its control panel, I definitely saw places where we could configure port-forwarding........

but it's not quite as straightforward as it is on a Linksys router in that, on a Linksys, if I want to open a specific port, like 5900, for screen sharing, I can easily type in the numbers 5900 and type the IP address of the computer on my LAN that I wish to forward port 5900 traffic to.......or I can do this with UPnP forwarding....either way it is simply and fully controllable.

But on this Verizon box, it seems to have most standard ports and protocols stored in presets that you must choose from. For example, if I wanted to setup port forwarding for FTP traffic, I would choose FTP from the dropdown menu and then the router would automatically know to forward port 21 to the computer of my choice.

but we specifically want to turn on AFP for apple file sharing, which is port 548. On the Linksys, i could simply type port 548. But this Verizon router does not show a service called AFP. It has a nice LONG menu of many different pre-set options, but AFP is not one of them. Would it be called something else on a device like this that is obviously not specifically designed to know Apple's file sharing protocol?

So would anyone know what kind of service I should look for that opens port 548 for file sharing?

Anyone have experience with these new Verizon routers/modems yet? I'd really love to find a way to type everything in manually, but I dunno if that's possible on this unit.

i know there's a lot here. thank you to anyone who knows about this and can shed some light

Posted on Feb 28, 2008 5:53 PM

8 replies

Mar 30, 2008 11:23 AM in response to David Lawrence4

WHY are you routing non-secure VNC and non-secure AFP straight through to the target computer over the internet at large, and NOT tunneling it through secure shell, specifically, a secure shell that ONLY allows public key authentication (since most people choose weak passwords prone to brute-force dictionary style attacks), or if you don't go for the public key authentication, then that at least utilizes hosts.allow and hosts.deny lists? You might find this post to be interesting reading...

Mar 30, 2008 2:49 PM in response to Maxplanar

That doesn't work because applications that initiate outbound connections are given randomly assigned 5-digit port numbers (e.g., 49144) through which the CLIENT communicates. The "well known" port numbers like 548 for afp, 22 for ssh, 80 for web servers, etc., are for the SERVER function to which the server daemon listens. Example: you don't send the request to download your email from your pop 110 (or 995 when using SSL), or from your imap 143 (or 993 when using SSL); that's the port number at the DESTINATION server to where your traffic is delivered, i.e., the port to which that SERVER is listening for incoming traffic. Same for when you send mail, you send from some randomly assigned five-digit port number TO the smtp server's port 25. You can see this by launching Terminal.app from an admin-privileged account and typing sudo tcpdump -i en1 (use en1 for airport, en0 for wired ethernet) and looking at the packet transmissions' headers.

Mar 31, 2008 5:29 PM in response to j.v.

Paul, thank you for that info! next time I go help my friend out, I can show him that.

J.V., I really appreciate you bringing up info about using SSH for security. I am absolutely interested in doing things securely, now that i have just learned the basics about ports and forwarding traffic period. I am going to have to read up on all that and learn how to. If you know of any good tutorials for how to set up SSH for secure file transfer and remote screen control outside of a LAN, I would love to find them out. Thank you!

port-forwarding or UPnP on VERIZON FIOS modem/router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.