Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 8.6 connect through ethernet to internet

After numerous attempts at file sharing between my PowerMac 7500/100, OS 8.6 and PowerBook Pro, OS X Leopard (to transfer my 12 yrs of files off old machine), I've finally determined saving the files to my .mac account and downloading to new machine will work best. Unfortunately I can't seem to get my hardwire ethernet connection through a D-Link router to provide internet access to my PowerMac. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), PowerMac 7500/100

Posted on Feb 28, 2008 10:07 PM

3 replies

Feb 29, 2008 9:43 AM in response to jizack

Which Mac can be a File Server under what circumstances:

To make way for the upcoming Intel Macs, AppleTalk and TCP/IP drivers for 10.4 and later were modified.

File Sharing via AppleTalk:
7.5.3 through 10.3.9 can share their files via AppleTalk.
10.4 cannot share its files via AppleTalk, and cannot mount drives from Macs that only want to share via AppleTalk. (AppleTalk printing in 10.4 and later is still supported.)

File Sharing via TCP/IP:
OS 9 and later can share its files via TCP/IP.
7.5.3 and later can mount other Mac's Volumes and Directories on its desktop via TCP/IP if you use the "Server IP Address" button in the AppleShare Chooser Extension.

Executive Summary:
The scenario that always works is to start from the older, pre-9 Mac, and mount the 10.4 Mac's shared drives or shared folder on the older Mac by using the "Server IP Address" button in the Chooser.

Note: when using 7.5.3, you may have to download newer version of Open Transport and/or the AppleShare Chooser extension, but these are readily available. There is also a US$40 Utility available from called ShareWay IP, that allows pre-9 Macs to share their files using IP.

http://www.opendoor.com/shareway/

Feb 29, 2008 9:55 AM in response to jizack

To enable Ethernet access on older Macs like these, you must plug in the cable first, then restart so that it sees an ACTIVE connection at Startup. Then it will allow you to use the TCP/IP Control Panel to set the Interface to Ethernet. When you have a Router, the easiest way to configure is "Using DHCP". You must close the TCP/IP Control Panel and Save Changes for the changes to take effect.

Now do some action the requires Ethernet Access, such as setting Network Time or opening a Browser. If you get on the Internet, all is well.

If not, open the TCP/IP Control panel and see what IP address you have been assigned. 169.254.xxx.yyy indicates you are talking only to yourself. You likely still have physical problems such as bad cabling, wrong kind of cables, bad port on your Router, or crossover cable used where straight or patch cable is expected.

If you have been assigned an address that is in the range of your Router, often 192.168.0.xxx and a subnet mask that matches the top three bytes 255.255.255.0, you should have your Internet connection, but you may not have a Domain Name Server (DNS). Entering:

http://17.149.160.49

... should get you Apple, Inc. If it does, you need to enter your ISP's Domain Name Server (DNS) info into your Router so that it is dispensed with every IP address.

Feb 29, 2008 9:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

One more "desperation move" is to assign "Manually" an IP address that is in the same range as your Router, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and specify the Router's IP address and your ISP's DNS server Addresses. This sometimes seems to knock everything into shape and allows a connection which is still available when set back to DHCP.

OS 8.6 connect through ethernet to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.