Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"allow network to be extended" - what is it really used for?

So, I have marveled at this setting, which I cannot find documented anywhere for a while and wanted to see if anyone knows;
I am very familiar with extending networks and WDS (I am running a segmented network, and have the 5Ghz portion extended with 2 AE).
However, it's a mystery to me what the setting does - as it does NOT seem to be used or needed to 'extend' a network, at least not if it's all AEs. Is this ONLY for WDS extension? Does it hurt or do anything to have it enabled (even if no WDS setup exists, and Apple's 'simplified' n-extension is done)?

Any opinions welcomed 🙂

Cheers,
Dan

Mac Pro Octo 3.2, 16GB, GT8800, MacBook Pro 2.4, 4GB, Macbook Air 1.8/SSD, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 29, 2008 8:01 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2008 6:04 PM in response to dosers

This setting is only applicable to the special case where you are creating an extended network of only Airport Extreme N Base Stations (or Time Capsules). A complete description of how to set up a WDS in this case (which requires far fewer settings than the "traditional WDS") is described starting at page 46 of Apple's manual "Designing Airport Networks" found at:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/DesigningAirPort_Networks10.5-Windows.pdf

"allow network to be extended" - what is it really used for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.