Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Latency

Howdy all.

I have a latency issue in Logic 8. My hardware is connected thus:

Fender Strat -> Line 6 Pod 2.0 -> Beringer MX802A mixer ->Mac line IN.

When I monitor the input from the guitar there is a latency between when I play the guitar and when I hear the output. If I monitor the output of the mixer to an amp, everything is fine. The track I am recording to has NO effects or plugins on it.

When I record MIDI into Logic 8, everything is fine. Everything is in perfect sync. When I record live audio, I get latency. Core audio settings in Logic are:

Device: Built in line I/O
I/O buffer: 1024
I/O safety buffer is checked.
Recording delay is 0
Universal Track mode is checked
24 bit is checked
software monitoring is checked.

Is this delay typical? Should I invest in a FW interface to overcome it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz 6GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 4:27 PM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2008 2:04 PM in response to yagfxg33k

Try going even lower than 256, as the lower the number the less latency you'll get. If you start getting dropouts on low buffers, first try to UNCHECK the I/O Safety Buffer, before increasing your buffer size back to a working setting. Some have reported good performance with it checked, but some, like myself, have very bad performance with it checked, and much better performance with it unchecked. Also try to experiment with the Process Buffer Range set at Medium and at Large.

All of these different settings will help you maximize your performance. The best thing to do is just mess around with different combinations. You might have the best setting now, but if you can get it even lower you'll be happier with your latency.

Good Luck!

Audio Latency

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.