Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three front row gripes

While the new front certainly is sexy and smooth (no more several seconds transitions between menu alternatives), I've three annoyances to which I've managed to find no solution. Perhaps you fellas, the very heart and brain of the Apple fanbase, can help me out, or at least explain to me why these very important features have been removed or changed.

1. No resume function in movies: While watching iTunes music videos give me the option to resume the video from where I left off before, watching anything in my movies folder does not. This is incredibly confounding, if Apple configured the new front row to work in this way. Why would I want the option to resume watching a music video from where I left off, but not a movie?

2. The fast forward/rewind behaviour: is just terrible. The single click-and-hold forwards/rewinds far too slowly for most rewinding needs, the click-and-hold-and-click-again seems bugged (while the forward/rewind bar shows the movie position moving, the actual picture and the actual position in the movie only changes every half minute of rewinded/forwarded time, or so), and the click-and-hold-and-click twice and the single click (to jump) are both only useable for quickly skipping ahead for several minutes or more.

3. No moving previews: Not much to say besides the obvious. Whatever happened to moving previews?

So, if anyone knows of any solutions for any of these problems, I'll be a happy frontrower. If no solutions exist, then it would be interesting to know the rationale behind these implementations.

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 1:41 PM

I second your gripes, but without your restraint; Front Row is a freakin' mess!

Okay, this really isn't an answer because only Apple can tell us why they all got stoopid and screwed up a perfectly lovely piece of software (I suspect it has something to do with the fact that FR now looks and acts suspiciously like the Apple TV interface and they probably use similar code so the programmers only update one code set).

However, it is important that we tell Apple, so: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

You should just send them your thoughtful and very well written post.

In the meantime, I have stumbled upon another thread that suggests replacing Front Row version 2 with Front Row version 1.3.1. Now, let me be clear: I HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET, but it looks like it might be worth a try.

Here's the thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1251292&tstart=0

Super important: Before you do this, read the ENTIRE thread through and practice safe computer hacking. Locate the Front Row 2 app in System>Library>Core Services and copy it to a safe place (desktop always seems a good place) before you try replacing it with version 1.3.1. That way, if the hack doesn't work, you can put version 2 back and restart.

If you're not the hacking type, which I admit can be scary, please send Apple your feedback. If enough of us suggest the changes, they might fix it. It worked with the semi-transparent menu bar, which, now that I've seen it, I wonder what all the fuss was about.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2008 1:41 PM in response to Ayjona

I second your gripes, but without your restraint; Front Row is a freakin' mess!

Okay, this really isn't an answer because only Apple can tell us why they all got stoopid and screwed up a perfectly lovely piece of software (I suspect it has something to do with the fact that FR now looks and acts suspiciously like the Apple TV interface and they probably use similar code so the programmers only update one code set).

However, it is important that we tell Apple, so: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

You should just send them your thoughtful and very well written post.

In the meantime, I have stumbled upon another thread that suggests replacing Front Row version 2 with Front Row version 1.3.1. Now, let me be clear: I HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET, but it looks like it might be worth a try.

Here's the thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1251292&tstart=0

Super important: Before you do this, read the ENTIRE thread through and practice safe computer hacking. Locate the Front Row 2 app in System>Library>Core Services and copy it to a safe place (desktop always seems a good place) before you try replacing it with version 1.3.1. That way, if the hack doesn't work, you can put version 2 back and restart.

If you're not the hacking type, which I admit can be scary, please send Apple your feedback. If enough of us suggest the changes, they might fix it. It worked with the semi-transparent menu bar, which, now that I've seen it, I wonder what all the fuss was about.

Three front row gripes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.