Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I made my OS X partition go invisible

Yep, just as the topic implies. Suddenly, after some very random and very careless unix fiddling (if I remember correctly, I was using rm -r to remove a downloaded torrent that Xtorrent refused to let go of as long as the software was running), my OS X partition does not show up on my desktop, and neither can I access it by command-clicking a window title and jumping backwards in the file hierarchy (the resulting list of folders shows the root of the partition as greyed out). When I try to use the Go to Folder... command to go to / (which is the mount point for my OS X partition), I end up in the top of the hierarchy (the place where my network volumes and my XP partition are shown in a list, usually together with my normal OS X partition).

I can, however, acess it just fine by either using the Go to Folder... command to go to /Volumes, and then clicking the alias for my OS X partition. I can also access all underlying folders, so the partition is evidently still there (something I suspected from the beginning, given that I could actually boot up my computer and such 😉 ). I can also access the root of the partition through Quicksilver.

I really don't mind the fact that my partition is no longer showing up on my desktop, since I can access it in so many other ways (and since I use Quicksilver for almost all navigational and file operations), but I would like to know how I did this, if for no other reason than to do the same to that XP partition that stubbornly clutters up my suddenly otherwise completely clean and stylistic desktop.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 7:24 PM

Click here for information, and adjust the instructions to hide the XP partition if desired.

(30056)
2 replies

I made my OS X partition go invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.