Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook makes weird clicking noises

i can't remember when this started, but randomly, my macbook will start to make weird clicking noises. it's not just when it's idle either, i'll be using it and it'll still make weird low "dddddddd" noises ><;; i don't think it's the fan b/c it's not the high pitched whirring...does anybody else have this problem???

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2008 10:08 PM

How old is your MacBook?

Where does the sound come from? Is it from under your right palm/hand? If so, do you have backups of your data? If not, do it soon. Clicking usually isn't good, and the hard drive is under the right palm rest. If that's where the sound is coming from, your hard drive might be ailing.

Regardless of where the sound seems like it's coming from, open Disk Utility and click on your hard drive and look in the lower right for "S.M.A.R.T status". Hard drives now have some early warning detection abilities.

Could it be the optical drive acting funky?

Good luck!
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2008 10:08 PM in response to daehakseng

How old is your MacBook?

Where does the sound come from? Is it from under your right palm/hand? If so, do you have backups of your data? If not, do it soon. Clicking usually isn't good, and the hard drive is under the right palm rest. If that's where the sound is coming from, your hard drive might be ailing.

Regardless of where the sound seems like it's coming from, open Disk Utility and click on your hard drive and look in the lower right for "S.M.A.R.T status". Hard drives now have some early warning detection abilities.

Could it be the optical drive acting funky?

Good luck!

Mar 3, 2008 12:32 PM in response to daehakseng

it's not that old; i got it last summer...and it's not under my palm; it comes from underneath the keyboards...and i looked at the disk utility and it said "verified"...so i don't think it's my hard drive...but it's okay even if my hard drive crashes, b/c i have an external harddrive and most of my info is on the hard drive; i don't like to use my internal drive b/c i don't want to clog it up and make it run slow...so what's wrong with it? do you think it's the fan and it has something stuck in it and it's making the clicking noises? should i take it apart or what?

Mar 3, 2008 2:13 PM in response to daehakseng

daehakseng wrote:
it's not that old; i got it last summer...and it's not under my palm; it comes from underneath the keyboards...and i looked at the disk utility and it said "verified"...so i don't think it's my hard drive...but it's okay even if my hard drive crashes, b/c i have an external harddrive and most of my info is on the hard drive; i don't like to use my internal drive b/c i don't want to clog it up and make it run slow...so what's wrong with it? do you think it's the fan and it has something stuck in it and it's making the clicking noises? should i take it apart or what?

Check that it isn't your MagSafe, because it's known to make very low noise when inserted and it's known to be fine.

Mar 6, 2008 9:52 AM in response to daehakseng

I have a similar "problem" and have been wondering about it. My macbook is relatively new, less than a year. The noise might of started say 5 months ago. It is a weird clicking/pulse noise that comes from under the keyboard on the left top corner, it's totally random and it comes with no other issues (app freezing, crashing etc). I always wondered if it's the harddrive but I wasn't sure were exactly th HD lives inside my Macbook. It doesn't sound like it's related with the fan or anything like it either.

Does anybody else have any more insight???

Fdo

Mar 6, 2008 12:55 PM in response to daehakseng

This clicking sound is specifically from the hard drive in MacBooks. The model of the hard drive in my MacBook is the FUJITSU MHV2080BHPL. I've had this click for well over a year and it only shows up when my hard drive is having to do a lot of thrashing for virtual memory purposes. I consider it entirely benign and merely a consequence of the hard drive head moving back and forth across the drive. It is very rare. Fujitsu drives historically are very reliable (as opposed to the Hitachi/Travelstar IBM drives which are historically a POS).

Nevertheless! What is the first rule of computing? Quote after me: *'MAKE A BACKUP'*. There is no excuse for not making regular backups of your hard drive. If you don't, you get what you deserve. It's that simple. *All hard drives fail.* It's just a matter of when. These days hard drives are being made cheaply, with lower quality standards than in the past, therefore they fail much more readily. Even Seagate, which I considered the hold out quality hard drive maker on the market, have recently been putting out faulty drives. NEVER depend on your hard drive.

Mar 6, 2008 7:17 PM in response to Derek Currie

maybe it's just me, but i think it's my fan; when i first got my macbook, the fan sound make a high-pitched whirring sound, but now, it's that weird buzz...i tried to take the top off my macbook, but i couldn't get it all the way off, so i tried blowing into the little space that i did manage to pull up...but i noticed while i was playing one of the games on my macbook that when the fan was running, it was making that buzzing sound, so i really do think that it's my fan...should i get somebody to look underneath "the hood" to see if it is the fan, or what? cuz it's really annoying when i'm trying to do homework and have to listen to that zzz-ing sound ><;

macbook makes weird clicking noises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.