Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jumbo frames?

Does anyone know if the built-in switch supports jumbo frames?

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2008 12:31 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2008 4:40 AM in response to osmophilia

Does anyone have any info on this. I too need to find out if I can have the machines plugged into the LAN ports set at 9000 MTU - I have a new iMAC connected to the the TC. I can get 900mbits/second to my MacBook Pro connected to another gig switch which the WAN port of the TC is connected to. But when I try to test to a Linux box on the same gig switch I only see ~500mbits/s. If I enable 9000 mtu on the iMAC the traffic does not seem to flow through the TC. I have noticed also that flow control is turned on using auto negotio but I don't see a flow control option on the TC.

Dec 19, 2008 1:05 AM in response to osmophilia

I can not find anything officially from Apple on this but I suspect that like the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet (MB053LL/A) it does not support Jumbo Frames.

Which *****, along with not being able to partition it, No QoS, and other limited router features as well as limited NAS functions.

For the Money the Drobo ( http://www.drobo.com/ ) supports Jumbo Frames, works with TM and you can setup a partition size for TM, plus it can grow as your needs change or you run out of space, and it has full NAS features like ftp,ssh, itunes server, etc..

I own a 500gb TC but will be moving to the Drobo, it just fits my needs better.

Jumbo frames?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.