Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro for Photographers

I am trying to find some good resources on configurations and software used for Photography. I am getting ready to purchase a new Mac and besides Photoshop what else is being used. Any Input would be appreciated. I also have an older Wacom Intuous tablet in need of up grading.

Thanks,
Jerry

Power Mac G4 Dual 533, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Mar 4, 2008 1:49 AM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2008 2:17 AM in response to Jerryleejr

Hi Jerry,

That is a bit of an open ended question! A bit more information about what you actually want to do would make it easier to answer!

You might find selecting "Photography" as the subcategory in http://macsoftware.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=MacOSGuide&-layout=cgisearch&-response=/uscategories/video_photo/video_results.lasso&-op=bw&st_Cat_IDsresult=B075&-maxRecords=10&-search provides some useful ideas.

http://www.macworld.com/products/mac/software/photography.html can be useful, too.

Cheers

Rod

Message was edited by: Rod Hagen

Mar 4, 2008 3:16 AM in response to Jerryleejr

It really depends on what format of photograph you are taking. If you shoot Jpeg, the shots are already pre-developed and compressed on camera, any further image edit on your machine will cause a degradation of image quality as each save compresses the image further.

I use a MacBook Pro when out and about on a shoot, but do final processing on my Mac Pro. The MacBook Pro gives me a good idea of what the final image will look like, but the Mac Pro is hooked up to an Eizo CG220 monitor which displays the full Adobe Colour Gamut, so for colour correction prior to print etc I see exactly what the picture will look like on my screen (colour calibrated screen and printer). Hence I do final processing on the Mac Pro.

If you shoot RAW (digital negative in simplified terms) then convert to 8- bitt / 16-bitt etc TIFF files, you need a RAW batch processing program to allow you to do this. Depending on the camera you have (and it's ability to shoot in RAW mode) the camera manufacturers usually produce their own software for RAW editing.

Personally, I use PhaseOne's Capture One Pro software for RAW edit / batch processing. Excellent prog. (recently updated to Capture One 4)

Photoshop CS3 to add additional effects filters etc

I'm giving Aperture 2 a try out for cataloguing and customer viewing etc. It's proving to be ok so far, much improved over the first version. Allows you to change the picture without effecting the original file, so if your customer would prefer a different 'look' to the picture, you can add changes and compare many copies of the same picture. (It's also very good for arranging pictures for albums etc)

That's just me. The progs mentioned above do all I need them to do, but do remember the better the shot you take, less post processing is required (depending on the effect desired for the final shot obviously).

Mar 4, 2008 3:25 AM in response to Jerryleejr

Rod,
Sorry I was in a rush earlier and was afraid I left it a little open ended. When I first got into using a Mac I started with Dream Weaver, and PhotoShop 6. Now that I am upgrading my Powerbook G4 I am also looking to upgrade my software to the New Adobe Creative suite 3 Web edition. I am just not sure I need to go with a loaded Macbook Pro if a Macbook will suffice. I found out real quick that programming was not for me and that I can not draw a straight line with a ruler. But I love to manipulate images and restore old photos. I am also thinking of dabbling with Flash video. I have about 3 years to get up and running to take my hobby full time and want to keep the expenses to a minimum. I have a nice Canon DSLR as well as photo printers capable of handling from a 4 x 6 up to Poster size Jobs. When I get back to the U.S. I plan on attending several seminars in the industry to get a more detailed idea of which way I want to take my business. Sorry for the long post but due to the massive amounts of information available on the Web I wanted to start here at the source. To see what people are using.

Thanks,
Jerry

Macbook Pro for Photographers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.