Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File question

If I have a folder of JPGs on my hard drive and then import the photos into iPhoto, can I then delete the original folder? Does iPhoto duplicate the original files? or are they still referenced back to the original folder? I will be able to free up a lot of space on my laptop HD if the files are an unnecessary duplication.
Thanks,
Ralph
P.S. I will be backing up the photos to other discs. I just want to free up space on the laptop.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 4, 2008 9:42 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2008 9:50 AM in response to Ralph Sauer

Depends

The default is that iPhoto copies the photos to its library and you can delete the originals (most experienced users archive them somewhere - external disk, dvd, cd - somewhere for safety)

Look at preferences - iPhoto menu ==> advanced ==> and see is "copy items to iPhoto library is checked (the default).

It is highly recommended that you have it checked - then the photos are in the iphoto library and you can do what you want with the originals - if it is unchecked you MUST do all the maintenance on the originals and can NOT move them (or go to a new computer) without causing lots of problems

LN

Mar 4, 2008 10:00 AM in response to Ralph Sauer

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the desktop computer that I used to import years worth of photos is running iPhoto 5.0.4 and does not have an advanced tab in preferences--just General, Appearance, Sharing, and Keywords. I imported a test photo using the "add to library" command and there were no options--it just imported the pic into a new roll. So...I'm still not sure if the original files can be deleted.

Mar 4, 2008 11:20 AM in response to Ralph Sauer

Ralph

They can be deleted. v5 could not run a referenced library and the pics were automatically copied.

To confirm: Right click on a pic in the iPhoto Window and choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will open with the File selected. You can easily trsce back to confirm that the file is in the iPhoto Library Folder.

Regards

TD

File question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.