4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2008 4:54 PM by Ralph Sauer
Ralph Sauer Level 1 (135 points)
If I have a folder of JPGs on my hard drive and then import the photos into iPhoto, can I then delete the original folder? Does iPhoto duplicate the original files? or are they still referenced back to the original folder? I will be able to free up a lot of space on my laptop HD if the files are an unnecessary duplication.
P.S. I will be backing up the photos to other discs. I just want to free up space on the laptop.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • LarryHN Level 9 (74,460 points)

The default is that iPhoto copies the photos to its library and you can delete the originals (most experienced users archive them somewhere - external disk, dvd, cd - somewhere for safety)

Look at preferences - iPhoto menu ==> advanced ==> and see is "copy items to iPhoto library is checked (the default).

It is highly recommended that you have it checked - then the photos are in the iphoto library and you can do what you want with the originals - if it is unchecked you MUST do all the maintenance on the originals and can NOT move them (or go to a new computer) without causing lots of problems

• Ralph Sauer Level 1 (135 points)
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the desktop computer that I used to import years worth of photos is running iPhoto 5.0.4 and does not have an advanced tab in preferences--just General, Appearance, Sharing, and Keywords. I imported a test photo using the "add to library" command and there were no options--it just imported the pic into a new roll. So...I'm still not sure if the original files can be deleted.
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 (136,660 points)

They can be deleted. v5 could not run a referenced library and the pics were automatically copied.

To confirm: Right click on a pic in the iPhoto Window and choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will open with the File selected. You can easily trsce back to confirm that the file is in the iPhoto Library Folder.

• Ralph Sauer Level 1 (135 points)
    Thanks so much.