Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open drudgereport.com

I get this message:

Safari can’t open the page “ http://drudgereport.com/” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

I've tried emptying the cache. I don't have this problem on my laptop which is running OS X v10.4.

I've not seen this problem with any other sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Safari Version 3.0.4 (5523.15)

Posted on Mar 5, 2008 10:47 AM

14 replies

Mar 5, 2008 5:08 PM in response to knmlee

I too have problems opening the Drudge Report site, whether I put quotation marks around the URL or not, when I'm using OS X 10.5.2.

When I put quote marks around the URL, I get a message like "404 not found" (quotation marks added by me, not part of the message).

But when I DON'T put quote marks around the URL, the page still doesn't open, and I get an entirely
different message!!

However, when I use OS X 10.4, I get the Drudge Report page to open every time I don't use those pesky quotation marks.

I certainly hope the helpful people in this forum can help us to consistenly open the Drudge Report
using OS X 10.5.2

Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2008 7:31 AM in response to knmlee

Hi guys,

I still am having this problem and have tried all of the suggestions posted (clearing cache, deleting cookies, etc.). The problem is now happening on my.yahoo.com as well as on drudgereport.com.

The problem happens on both of my PowerPC macs (one is running 10.5.4 and one is running 10.5.2). The problems does not happen on my Intel based MacBook.

Here is the exact error message:

Safari can’t open the page “ http://my.yahoo.com/p/1.html”. The error was: “Operation could not be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 302.)” (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:302)

Safari can’t open the page “ http://drudgereport.com/”. The error was: “Operation could not be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 302.)”

Any ideas on how to get this resolved? These are two sites that I like to visit frequently.

Thanks,
Mark

Jul 24, 2008 1:15 PM in response to knmlee

Hi Mark: Out of the blue a few days ago Safari started to refuse to open the Yahoo site for me; however the error message was different from the one you've been getting. Firefox and Camino did not have the same problem, however.

I solved the problem by simply trashing the com.apple.Safari.plist in the home library. I'm mentioning this on the off chance you didn't try this most basic of fixes.

Jul 28, 2008 9:07 AM in response to knmlee

I have trashed the com.apple.Safari.plist file and have not changed ISP's. I'm using Earthnet for my ISP. I've attached this computer at another location going through Comcast cable and get the same behaviour.

Interesting, the new Firefox browser will open my.yahoo.com just fine, but will not open the drudgereport site.

As I mentioned, everything works fine on my Intel-based Macbook. It's just my older PowerPC macs that are having this problem.

Jul 30, 2008 1:28 PM in response to knmlee

I have no clue about your issue with the drudgereport.

I do know more about the my.yahoo.com problem. Yahoo has an IP address for use in branded my.yahoo.com pages (e.g., Verizon Yahoo). The old IP address for my.yahoo.com (69.147.108.30) is not working for me, the server just doesn't seem to respond. (Not sure yet if that's because I just became a Verizon customer.)

A new address for verizon.my.yahoo.com (69.147.108.29) does work for me. Since I didn't register my verizon email with yahoo I don't want to use the branded page, that creates other problems. So I added a DNS entry to my router (which is my first DNS server) for my.yahoo.com to map to 69.147.108.29 as a workaround for the issue. The my.yahoo.com page now works (and is not branded) with no problems.

You may want to try:

http://partner.my.yahoo.com/

and see where that gets you. That site is the 69.147.108.29 host address. If this gets you a response you may want to change the my.yahoo.com address in your router or /etc/hosts file. Make sure you clear cache and cookies before trying this.

Can't open drudgereport.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.