Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jumping cursor messes up typing?

I have noticed that while I am typing that my cursor may jump to a different location so as to cause me to continue typing in the wrong area. I do have one possible solution-- I have noticed that the page up/down buttons are a little close and thought that I may be bumping the key while typing as they are very sensitive.
I have also seen some erratic behavior with the mouse pad occasionally.

Two questions:
Anyone else having these issues and have you found the solution?
If it is just the bumping into the up page key then is there a way to disable the page up key?

Macbook Pro/ 2.2ghz/ 160GB, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2008 5:00 PM

25 replies

Mar 18, 2008 11:10 AM in response to neuroanatomist

I have the exact same problem and it is pretty bad!.....And I already have the"accidental input " preference checked" So that won't really work!

I was wondering if my forearms lightly resting on the front of the MBP was causing some pressure in side the notebook...or something.....but it happens even when my hands are floating above the keyboard and track pad....

Mar 18, 2008 11:03 PM in response to CCRDVR

In My case at least this is not the problem .
I have had it for some time now and have tried to identify the cause by trying new methods of working with the keyboard.
With me fore arks resting on the face with my fore arms floating above the face. My rather large hands
are no where near the track pad. At least touching it. This is not an errant touch of some kind. there is something else going on.....
But thanks for the suggestion....

Mar 31, 2008 4:23 PM in response to Edward House

Is it possible that you mean
Uncheck thee box for: "Tapping track pad using two fingers as secondary click" ????
If so , then This has already been done on my machine.
IN FACT I my cursor not only jumps to a new location at times, but at others it actually deletes whole groups of sentences I had just completed entering....and starts typing where the deletion started.

ANY IDEAS??????

Apr 1, 2008 8:44 AM in response to Edward House

Look forward to hearing if your experience with it Unchecked is better than mine!
I have had it unchecked for some time... to no avail.

I am wondering if it is simply just a faulty keyboard or track pad.......
Or
if pressure (by resting my forearms on the front of the macbook) may cause it.....but then again whenI try floating my hands above the mac book it happens as well......

Do you think its possible that the track pad is reading my hands as they float over the track pad?
(1" - 3" above it? )

Apr 1, 2008 9:02 AM in response to Rnasch

o you think its possible that the track pad is reading my hands as they float over the track pad?
(1" - 3" above it? )

Unlikely. I do not think it is possible.

I have not had a problem since doing the switch but I also have not done a lot of typing either so I am still keeping this post open for now.

I have noticed though that now my cursor gets stuck when I try to move it. I now have to sort of run my finger all over the trackpad to get it going. I think this is due to the one setting for "ignore accidental trackpad input".
It is a real pain by itself, lot to mention the jumping cursor problem.

I love Mac-- I hate Mac support.

Apr 1, 2008 9:45 AM in response to Edward House

i had teh same issue and what i found was the way i was sitting and had my hands positioned my forearms/hands would tap the edge of the TP button causing the cursor to jump. after i got an external mouse i noticed it went away and thats when i figured out what was happening.

it could also just be hard ware issues. my dad's pc was doing the same thing and nothing fixed it until they replaced his machine but i would bet it is more likely you tapping the button

-matt

Apr 1, 2008 2:54 PM in response to mattathayde

Thanks for the input.
No, my hands are not the problem. I thought the same thing so paid close attention to doing this, thinking the same as you do. But the problem still continued. What I really thought was that I was hitting the "up page" key at the same time as I was hitting the shift key. And I was doing that occasionally but when I paid special attention I noticed that that was not very much the problem.

It has been about 24 hours since I changed the settings in the preferences and so far no problem with cursor skipping. But I am having an annoying problem with cursor delay when first starting to use the trackpad. I remember having this same delay issue on my old G4 desktop so I think it is a Mac software thing with that.

Jumping cursor messes up typing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.