Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail toolbar icons missing

Because my boot partition was getting full I moved my Mail 2.0.3 application to a different partition. Now the icons on the Mail toolbar have disappeared! How can I get them back?

Also, the flag that displays whether a message has been read or not (I think it was a fat blue dot) no longer appears.

I tried restarting Mac OS X but this did not help. Is there a solution?

Posted on Sep 14, 2005 8:52 AM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2005 7:00 AM in response to Daniel Kaplan

I also tried moving Mail back to the Applications folder in the boot partition - didn't help.

Actually, it's behaving as if the icons are there but invisible. If I click in the space on the toolbar that they used to occupy (above their names: "Delete Junk Reply" etc.), the actions happen. Also, I tried playing with the settings in Mail's "View/Customize Toolbar" menu, switching back and forth between "Show Icon & Text" and Show Text Only," but it made no difference. And the icons are all invisible on the "View/Customize Toolbar" as well as on the toolbar itself.

HELP!!!

Sep 17, 2005 3:46 PM in response to Daniel Kaplan

Problem solved! It turned out that in copying Mail from the Applications folder on my boot partition to the other partition, some files failed to be copied. I had deleted the original application, so those files were nowhere on my hard drive. When I control-clicked on Mail and looked in the Resources folder (in Contents), the .tiff files up to first-lettter "s" were there, but when I compared to Mail on a different Mac I saw a bunch of files that came later in the alphabet, including a bunch of "TB_..." tiff files - these evidently were the ToolBar icons. When I copied them from the other Mac and restarted Mail, my missing icons were back.

This leaves the following mystery. Before I did the above I tried reinstalling Mail onto my boot partition from the Tiger install DVD. For some reason the newly installed version was still lacking those icons. Is this a surprise to anyone else? Why wouldn't installing an application install all of its contents?

Mail toolbar icons missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.