Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail and Exchange Server 2003

Am I the only person that can not connect to an exchange server 2003 instance with mail? I can connect using exchange settings using entourage, but I can not get any setting to work in mail. I have had my admin turn on POP as well as IMAP and none of the three connection options work. Everytime I try I get the same error. My password is not accepted and I am presented with a password dialogue. I know that it is correct because I can connect via OWA as well as entourage to this exchange server instance. I have also never had a problem with exchange server 2000 either. My only thought is that this is an issue with mail and not me or exchange.

Posted on Sep 15, 2005 8:53 AM

12 replies

Sep 15, 2005 4:11 PM in response to Andrew Filipowski

gonna keep my eye on this thread, cos I was about to try this - might hang fire for a few days and test on a non-work machine first. Let us know if you solve this issue. You say it worked fine on 2000, does that include meeting requests and calendar sync, I want it to work but don't trust it right now. Entourage 2004 is the slowest bleedin mail client I've ever had the misfortune to be stuck with using...takes 13mins to refresh my Exchange mail, even if its set to 1min!

is there any other mail clients apart from Apple and Microsoft ones that work fully with Exchange server? I'm past the point of liking either, they are both uber slow and are getting on my nerves...

Sep 29, 2005 7:48 AM in response to Andrew Filipowski

Mine simply gives the password dialogue and will not get past that--same for all other Mac users in the company . We have been told that it will only work if each Mac user has a static IP address which is not possible for security reasons. we will try one over the next few days. this in combination with the constant mac hardware problems I have listed elsewhere on this site means that we will switching all macs to PC worldwide in the company. Our mac users have been using slow webmail for 12 months for example which is impossible

regards to all

Ian

Sep 29, 2005 8:27 AM in response to Brad Petrella

My outgoing settings are as follows:

Outgoing Mail Serve: xx.xx.xx.xx:username
Server port: 25
ssl NOT checked
Authentication: password
Username: username
password: password

I can send mail perfectly. Recieving does NOTHING. Not even a warning that it isn't working.

In case someone can help with that, here are those settings:

Incoming Mail Server: xx.xx.xx.xx
Username: directory\username
Password: password

Sep 29, 2005 12:02 PM in response to Brad Petrella

Hi Brad et al -

I am using Mail 2.0.3 and am running against Exchange Server 2003.

I am using IMAP and am not seeing any problems. I used the IMAP not Exchange settings. Our IS said that no one got the Exchange setup to work.

One thing to be aware of, once you get yourself a nice and setup and not using POP, is DON'T DELETE THE POP ACCOUNT. If you do, all of your email in the POP account's Inbox, Sent, Deleted, Drafts, and Outbox will be erased! You will be unable to recover it.

What you need to do, is copy the mail from the POP account's mailboxes to the equivalent locations for your IMAP account. Once that is done, you can safely delete the POP account.

Yours,

Jordan

Oct 1, 2005 11:25 AM in response to Ianfb

I would really like to be able to go back to Mail.app. Having to go to Entourage because of the move to Exchange 2003 (Disabled IMAP) at work was like 10 steps back in productivity. I miss spotlight searching for mail the most. Does anyone know if Apple is going to implement RPC over HTTPS for Mail.app.

TIA
-Ron

Oct 7, 2005 10:36 AM in response to Andrew Filipowski

FWIW: if you have set up Mail to use an exchange account, you may need to include your domain name as in "AMER/jzwiebel". If you are set up to use IMAP, you may have to use your UNIX password rather than your Windows password.
I managed to get mine to work somehow. I had the exchange account working for several months when it just stopped. So I moved to an IMAP account.

Oct 11, 2005 6:52 PM in response to John Zwiebel

I too am getting the same error. It asks for my Exchange password for the server.

Under the Incoming and Outgoing mail server names I have tried, using the following variations:

https://server.name/exchange
server.name/exchange
server.name
IPAddress

Nothing worked.

I have also tried using, under user name settings:

server.name/user name

Outgoing server authentication settings are NTLM, user name with and without server.name/

This can't be that difficult.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oct 13, 2005 2:20 PM in response to John Parkan

Okay, got it to work!

The best way to do it is:

1) Quit Mail
2) Go to the Finder Window
3) Open your Home Folder
4) Open the Library folder
5) Open the Preferences Folder
6) Grab the file called com.apple.mail.plist and put it on your desktop. This is the preferences file with all your mail settings for your current account, so be aware that your are no longer going to use the current accounts setup if you choose this method.
7) Open Mail, it will run the Automated Guide. First it should ask you to rename your Outbox to Delievered. Do this!
8) Use an IMAP account (make sure IMAP is turned on on your Exchange Server)
9) When it asks for Outgoing and Incoming mail server settings you should use smtp.exchange.server.name.com and mail.exchange.server.name.com respectively. However, it is better to use the direct IP address of the server for both. In my case, since I'm internal, I used 10.1.1.5.
10) Don't bother with SSL authentication if you are within the network.

That should be it. Granted, if you have a large inbox or Delivered box, it will take quit some time to update in Mail.app. And unlike Entourage, there is no indicator of how many messages or how log it will take to process.

I did the same thing in Entrouage and the results were startlingly different. M$ obviously has things tied up because Entourage is several orders of magnitude faster than Mail.app. In fact, the Mail.app is not really useable, IMO, for exchange use.

I hate using M$ products especially when Mail.app has such a wonderful minimal interface. But that being said, the current version of Office is best version ever release for either platform. The Mac Business Unit should be commended.

Good luck with your results!

Mail and Exchange Server 2003

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.