Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Melted Mac Book Pro - PLEASE HELP

I hoping someone can help or advise me out there. I'm a mac user myself but I'm writing on behalf of my niece who has a Mac Book Pro that is still under warranty.
Recently she found her computer melted around the CD compartment area and her CD stuck inside it. She left is safely on her desk, naturally none of the air vents were covered so there was no reason for it to overheat.
We took it to the main Apple Store in London's Regent Street to see one of these 'Geniuses' where they accused her of foul play and suggested someone had stepped on it causing it to collapse internally. This is obviously untrue and obsurd. There are no signs that is has been stepped on and we were very offend that we were accused. The external shell is intact when you look at top and bottom but the front side where the CD bay is it clearly looks as if it's melted. We found them not very helpful at all and to add insult to injury wanted to charge £163 to have it repaired when it appears to us that there is a fault with the mac and it's still under warranty. If anyone out there can advise it would be very helpful.
Kind regards
Sophia

Mac Book Pro 15 GL/2.16/1G/120/128 RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 8, 2008 5:06 AM

4 replies

Mar 8, 2008 5:14 AM in response to Sophia

I would call Apple help - explain your situation. If you don't get the answer you feel is right ask for a supervisor. Keep going up the chain until you get someone prepared to listen. Ask for and write down names. Keep a record of conversations. Be polite but very firm.

If there is no external case damage it's hard to imagine what you may have done...

Mar 8, 2008 6:33 PM in response to Sophia

If you or a friend has a digital camera, take pictures of the top, bottom, sides and front to show that there is no external damage (hasn't been stepped on etc). You can e-mail these to the supervisors you talk to so that they can see the melted portion around your DVD/CD drive. After all "A picture is worth a thousand words".
Aloha,
CCRDVR

Mar 8, 2008 7:09 PM in response to Sophia

There could well have been a failure of the thermal sensors or fans that could have caused the MBP to overheat. So there is a logical explanation as to what could have happened. You could probably find instances of this by searching the MBP forums. There have been plenty of instances of MBP's running hot for a number of reasons.

Good luck!

Melted Mac Book Pro - PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.