Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Perl Scripting with Xcode help

Hi, let me start by telling you guys that I'm new on scripting and with Perl. I started to read a book about Learning Perl and I did some search to find a good free Text Edit that can help me with Perl. I found out that with XCode you can create and edit your Perl Script, so I decide to download and install the XCode. I opened it and when and did File >>> New Project , I don't see an option for Perl. Can somebody help me, remember I'm new. I have another question; if I create a script and I would like to do an user friendly interface version, is there anything that I can do to incorporate that beside the terminal? I know that I'm a newbie, but I was wonder. Thanks for your time.

24" IMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2008 11:44 PM

4 replies

Mar 9, 2008 4:57 AM in response to David Gomez

XCode doesn't seem to fit writing perl scripts. TextEdit can be configured for your need. Set New Document to plain text and Open and Save- Saving files to UTF-8. What is so unfriendly about the shell interface? I was going to suggest vi. Adding a GUI interface or wrapping a script in a double clickable app. just adds another layer of complexity. Learn Perl first.

Mar 10, 2008 6:59 AM in response to David Gomez

To be fair to Xcode, there is no reason why you can't use it to write Perl scripts. It does have a nice editor, after all. I use it to develop XML, XSLT, and PHP-based web sites. Plus, it is a handy way to have all your files in one project with CVS support.

Just create an empty project in Xcode and add Perl files to it. There is build step because there is nothing for Perl to build. You could add a "/usr/bin/perl -wc" build step just to check syntax, if you wanted to. There should be a way to configure Xcode to run your Perl scripts as well.

Perl Scripting with Xcode help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.