Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code - 10660

The error code - 10660 occurs when I try to open an Adobe Reader file w/o having Adobe Reader software open. It used to open the software automatically, but now opens it ONLY if I already have Adobe Reader open. Is there a preference that relates to this either in MacOS 10.4.11 or Adobe Reader 8.1.2 recently upgraded.

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Adobe Reader 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2008 10:28 AM

8 replies

Mar 11, 2008 11:48 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy....Thanks for the suggestion and this partially answers where I want to be.

However, that only got me to the point where Preview now opens what were marked as Adobe Reader files (now most are marked as Preview files). For the only Adobe Reader marked file left, opening this file restored my ability to open Adobe Reader marked files with the Adobe Reader software. How do I now restore Adobe Reader icon markings so that Adobe Reader opens ALL PDF files with the trailing ".pdf", no matter how they the file icon is marked. I hope I do not have to re-save all of these files with the Adobe Reader icon markings!!

Is this change associated with the 8.x Adobe Reader or MacOS 10.4.11, as I know Apple would like that I have a preference for Preview, but my experience to date with Preview has not been as good as Adobe Reader?

Mar 11, 2008 12:08 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy...

It now appears that I have to go through that process for each Preview ".pdf" file, as the "Change All" option on the Get Info pop-up window only changes what application opens the file, not the icon appearance. I use this distinguishing mark to distinguish between the similar TextEdit type files. Also changing the Icon appearance also changes the date on the document, which I do not want to do. Any solution to this problem.

Mar 11, 2008 12:27 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy...

Your last suggestion sounds like I still have to make the changes individually to each file. When I made the change using the Get Info window, I noticed that both the date created and date modified changed.

Do I then conclude that if the Icon appearance changes, then minimally the date modified has to change?

Does that mean I have to re-start for each change or can the Get Info changes be accumulated and then restart?

If I migrate to MacOS 10.5.X will this allow more flexibility in Icon appearance of Adobe Reader files?

Mar 11, 2008 12:33 PM in response to Bruce Crawford

No, you don't have to change each file. Do a restart. Your file icons should revert to Adobe's. There's nothing you can do about the dates. Any change you make to a file will cause the modification date to change. Possibly modifying the icon changes the creation date as well, not sure though.

You only need to restart once. Sometimes when you make a change affecting more than one file the icon will not revert until you restart. It's possible you could just log out and back in to make the icon change.

Leopard and Tiger are not different in this regard.

Mar 12, 2008 9:01 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy....thanks for your help. I had to leave yesterday and when I opened my system today all of the remaining previously "Preview-marked" Icons had changed to "Adobe Reader" marked Icons.

For some reason when I restarted yesterday only most of them had changed and there were many that did not change. That is what confused me.... not knowing that it appears to take a while to get everything updated, maybe even two restarts. Seems that when using 10.4.3 the process did not require restarting...but that was about 3 years ago when I first tried that.... my memory is a little fuzzy.

Thanks again for your help.

Error code - 10660

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.