Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview opening all files in folder

When browsing to open a file in Preview through File>Open File... dialogs, Preview is opening all of the files within a folder (rather than opening the folder's directory) after a double-click on the folder.

Am I missing something?

IMAC 7,1, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 8:28 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2008 1:46 AM in response to Jeremy P

Double-click on folders in open dialogue does not open the entire folder contents in most applications! (I just tested a couple standard programs to confirm: Safari, TextEdit.) It is an annoying and unnecessary attribute which seems only applicable in Preview.

The feature of Preview where double-clicking a folder in the open dialogue causes Preview to open the entire folder contents is the bane of my existence as a Mac OS user. (And I do use other operating system, my Mac triple boots.) This behavior is not only inconsistent (and generally confirms that Mac OS X is perpetually confused about what type of mouse actions cause what actions in different areas), but a horrible catastrophe when, at least once a day, I inadvertently double-click a folder (in this manner) containing many files Preview associates with itself, where the only easy solution is to Force Quit. Don't believe me? When Preview starts trying to open 200 post-script files, which it must first convert to pdf, and the Cancel button does not respond, what should you do? Even if you wait for it to open all the files, in the case where conversion to pdf is involved, each window I close asks me if I wish to save!

All the complaints aside, is there a way I can disable this gregariously foolish and mis-sighted feature? If there is not a way to disable this feature at present, I'll just hope that a developer is reading this, since this is my only recourse in closed-source software, except to find new software.

And while I'm at it, may I request that Preview have the added feature to directly view post-scripts?

Preview opening all files in folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.