Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing or old Bill of materials?

What? I don't fully understand that error. I'm trying to install OS X 10.3.3 onto a new hard drive in my iMac. I ran installation disc 1 and everything worked ok. I tried to run installation disc 2 and that missing or old bill of materials error is what I get in return. Anybody know a quick and easy remedy to this? It's been driving nuts this morning.

iMacDV Ruby 400Mhz, 256MB

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 8:26 AM

13 replies

Mar 12, 2008 8:53 AM in response to ali brown

Erased and reformated the drive the restarted. I put in the first install disc and the installer ran ok. When the installer finished it asked for the 2nd disc but instead of popping the 2nd one in right away I went to bed. I woke up this morning,put the 2nd disc in,clicked on the packages icon, the installer opened, and a minute or so later I received the "missing or old bill of materials" error.

Mar 12, 2008 10:07 AM in response to PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin,

they're the gray and white install discs with the apple logo on them."
Those are not the Full Retail Version, of the Panther Install CDs.

They are Model Specific system discs.
And as the Ruby iMac 400MHz, did not have Panther pre-installed when manufactured, I'm not sure why they installed correctly, on the old drive.

Maybe you just got lucky, as will sometimes happen, when using Model Specific discs.

ali b

Missing or old Bill of materials?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.