Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Media Player on iMac

I just made the switch from Windows to iMac and I'm loving it! I visit a few websites that stream content - for example, I listen to Sirius Satellite Radio - over my computer but the sites' media players require that I install Windows Media Player. I haven't used WMP in ages since I use iTunes and QuickTime and I don't really want to install it on the iMac but I really do want to continue to get this content. Should I be concerned with installing WMP on the iMac? Or am I just being a new Mac snob by not wanting to sully my beautiful new Mac with that obscene Windows garbage? LOL Basically, if I install WMP on the computer, will it cause any problems? Thanks in advance for your help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone, video iPod 40 GB

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 10:01 AM

there is a special OS X version of WMP so I don't think it will cause any trouble besides I ever had any complainants on my site (we recommend other to use it)
link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/mac/mp9/default.aspx
10 replies

Mar 20, 2008 3:38 AM in response to TopoTone

This is the first week of my first Mac, so hopefully this won't seem dumb. I've downloaded WMP and Lip4Mac. They're both in the Applications folder. But when I try and make either of these the default player for say an .avi file - the application itself is grayed out. I can open WMP, but I can't make anything play in it. I'm sure there must be something simple I'm missing, but I don't know what.

Thanks

Mar 21, 2008 6:20 AM in response to chief2224

Speaking of Windows Media Player... I installed it last week on my mac because I thought I needed it for MLB.tv, but I ended up not needing it. However, every time I try to delete it, it won't let me. I drag it to the trash, and when I try to empty the trash, I get an error message saying "The operation cannot be completed because the item 'wmphelp.htm' is locked."
If I click continue, then it cycles through all the other files in the WMP folder until it gets back to the very beginning.

How do I delete this crap off my computer??

Windows Media Player on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.