Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule interfering with cordless phone?

I installed my Time Capsule a couple of weeks ago. I've had a number of problems with it, but overall, it is gradually working more efficiently.

However, over the last few weeks, people who have called me have complained about having trouble hearing me on my home phone, which is a cordless 2.4GHz device. At first, I assumed the problem was on their end, since most of the callers were on cell phones. Also, I don't get many calls on my land line, since most people call on my cell now. But over time, the complaints have been consistent, and more diagnostically, several of the callers were calling on land lines themselves.

At first, I thought the problem was with the cordless handset, but I have three handsets, and they all have the same problem.

I finally realized: The problem started at the same time I bought the Time Capsule!

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there a way to fix it? I'm going to try moving the cordless base station, which right now is sitting next to the Time Capsule. (Though I thought the Time Capsule was on a different frequency than the 2.4GHz phone and would not interfere.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.4.10), Time Capsule, Airport Utility 5.3.1, Firmware 7.3

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 1:50 PM

You are experiencing interference from the cordless phone b/c both it and Time Capsule (in 802.11b/g mode) operate in the same 2.4 GHz frequency. Upgrade to a 5.8 GHz cordless phone as soon as you can. I've both 5.8 GHz and 900 MHz cordless phones and had no interference whatsoever.

Once upon a time, I had a 2.4 GHz phone and a graphite AirPort base station and both were at war with each other. Whenever I was on the phone, my AirPort network would drop out and I had to constantly change channels on the phone to make things peaceful temporarily but it would eventually happen again. Ultimately, the phone lost b/c it stopped working completely.

Hope this helps.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2008 1:50 PM in response to David Green4

You are experiencing interference from the cordless phone b/c both it and Time Capsule (in 802.11b/g mode) operate in the same 2.4 GHz frequency. Upgrade to a 5.8 GHz cordless phone as soon as you can. I've both 5.8 GHz and 900 MHz cordless phones and had no interference whatsoever.

Once upon a time, I had a 2.4 GHz phone and a graphite AirPort base station and both were at war with each other. Whenever I was on the phone, my AirPort network would drop out and I had to constantly change channels on the phone to make things peaceful temporarily but it would eventually happen again. Ultimately, the phone lost b/c it stopped working completely.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2008 11:04 AM in response to Tenacious MC

Thanks, but as far as I can tell my TC is in 802.11n mode, not b/g...

The bummer is, I have a multiline phone system, because I have a home office. This is a base station/remote handset unit that cost over $300. To have to replace it because I just bought Time Capsule seems ridiculous, especially since I had no interference with my previous Airport Extreme!

Mar 14, 2008 12:14 PM in response to David Green4

I had the same problem. It was diagnosed by a service tech on phone support. Once I unplugged the 2.4 GHz phones that were nearby the Time Capsule, I had a full signal to my computers from the device.
The tech advised me to try reconnecting one of the phones at a time (I have three), but I only reconnected the 2.4 GHz phone in the kitchen, the furthest from the Time Capsule. I bought a set of two 5.8 GHz phones, and everything works fine. The pair cost me $35 at Target. The kitchen phone doesn't seem to be a problem.
I live in a two bedroom apartment, and the tech also suggested that I turn the "Interference Robustness" to 50% as a way to minimize interference from 2.4 GHz phones in neighboring apartments.
Everything works great now. I have a better wi-fi signal than I had in the past, and the Time Machine feature of TC is terrific.

Time Capsule interfering with cordless phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.